Ever taken your fuse box off the firewall?

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

loveoldtrux

Ever taken your fuse box off the firewall?

Post by loveoldtrux »

I have two corroded terminals that hold the brake fuse in place - they just fell apart in my hands as I was checking the fuse the other day - no wonder I didn't have any brake lights!!

What I think can be done:
1) take the fusebox off the firewall and locate the group of wires going to the brake light fuse (where the terminals WERE...)
and snip them off and pull them to the side -
2) then remount the fuse box.
3) THEN take an inline fuse and run IT betwixt the two wires that I pulled to the side from the fusebox -----------

From what I "think" that should make it work like a charm. Has anybody ever done this?

What's it look like on a 73 F100 behind the fusebox... a bag of snakes or is it something a computer engineer would undertand...?
71 LONG BED
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

re: Ever taken your fuse box off the firewall?

Post by 71 LONG BED »

It sounds like it would work to me. :hmm:
John Member #1549
71 F100 Sport Custom__________1967 F350 Gone, but not forgotten
Image Image Image
bluef250
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by bluef250 »

Yes, the box comes off with 2 screws. If you have 2 terminals that are bad, I guess that others are near failure also. You may have more work to do!! Tried to post photo but cannot figure out how. [/img]
loveoldtrux

Post by loveoldtrux »

Blue250 - thanks for trying to post the pic for me. You can still send it to :nono: if you want.

I guess I'll try the fix this weekend - and give everybody a pictorial walk-through of the event. Until then I have to try and survive the rest of the week in my Chevette without getting run over..... http://us.mistynewbeak.biz/html/shoes.html !!

Contact info edited by site moderator. Please use contact options at bottom of posts. Thanks, Greg (heep70) moderator
kid

Post by kid »

Being an electrician I would just pop it off and use standard fuse holders that are mounted on a strip, Then use all ASA fuses just the right amps.

Inline wire splice fuses give me the willys :cry: :x :twisted: :shh: :oops:
loveoldtrux

Post by loveoldtrux »

Kid ---- h'mmmm any links for "standard fuse holders that are mounted on a strip" so I can look at your idea?... I've have two days to plan...
kid

Post by kid »

strip fuse holders are very standard in the electronic industies. Even radio shack if you do a search on fuse holders.

http://www.radioshack.com/family/index. ... 58.2032234
loveoldtrux

Post by loveoldtrux »

Kid - thanks for the link!!.... I never thought Radio Shack would sell CAR parts!!.... I thought they were into home electronics!!.... Looks like I need to do some browsing in their store.

Jor - thanks for the tip.... I guess you're right... "anybody" could browse the forum for email addys... I'll be more careful next time....

.... but I never got the picture.... :(
kid

Post by kid »

I even built my Halogen High beam relay right out of radio shacks parts bin. My truck would trip the breaker on high beam only. Real annoying when driving at night.

They have this Relay made for 30AMP 12VDC Auto applications. Worked great.