Starter teeth banged up - replace?

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

69rangerman
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Starter teeth banged up - replace?

Post by 69rangerman »

I pulled my starter tonight as I prepare to pull the engine and tranny. A few of the teeth were banged up, should I replace even though it still works?

Thanks
"O say, does that star spangled banner yet wave? Oer the land of the free and the home of the brave?" It does at my house! God bless America!
splavin90

Post by splavin90 »

check the flywheel and see if theres teeth missing on the flywheel

i'd replace the teeth on the starter.

also, it might have been misalligned and that's why you're chomping through teeth.
69 F100 81' 302 / 73' fmx

I'd rather go hunting with Dick Cheney than go driving with Kennedy
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

if its not to bad you should be alright. yes check the teeth on the flywheel to see what they look like. if there tore up replace the flywheel and the starter drive then they will both be new. the starter drive is about 10.00 last i heard
theskytoucher
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by theskytoucher »

If the teeth on the flywheel are bad you can just replace the ring with the teeth on it. I did this to mine and it worked great. BUt you have to have a torch. The ring only cost around $25 its better than replacing the flywheel IMO
-Troy-

1996 Dodge ram 1500 4x4
1976 Ford F-150 4x4

Quando Omni Flunkus Mortadi
When all else Fails Play Dead
kid

Post by kid »

I took a flywheel to NAPA's machine shop and since I bought the ring gear there they did the ring gear R&R for free.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

hey kid that was good of them. i like stuff like that. i don't have torches or welders. i just wish i did.
69rangerman
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 69rangerman »

Thanks guys,

I didn't know you could replace just drives, or teeth, or rings. Cool.
The flywheel teeth are all there but ground off some.

Is it normal to wipe your finger into the starter pocket of the bell housing and have your finger covered in what looks like oily gray paste with metallic bits in it?

The engine and tranny are coming out soon so I'll pobably go ahead with the new flywheel and starter teeth.

Tom
"O say, does that star spangled banner yet wave? Oer the land of the free and the home of the brave?" It does at my house! God bless America!
kid

Post by kid »

A little bit of gray paste and metal is okay. All teeth in that area look beat up from the forward hitting motion if they get too rough then they really chip the teeth.

A friend had a 66 Chevelle 396 TH400 that was down to three teeth when we pulled the flywheel.

On Manuals change the ring gear on Autos change the flexplate. If a machine shop was to heat up the flex plate it would warp. They don't have the jig that the factory uses to keep the flex plate from warping under the welding heat.