lx1 fox body

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

burndout

lx1 fox body

Post by burndout »

im currently in a project of pullin ou the outdated 302 in my fox and droppin in a ls1. i currently am aware of the 4.6 tubular k member and stock motor mount with minor fab will get the job done, but my greatest concern is the WIRING! i know i can send the ls1 harness to Speartech and have it reworked for around 450$ but my question is what exaclty do they do to the harness? i can figure they remove all the things not needed in the fox (vats, o2s, egr) but what exaclty do they "rework"? any help greatly app.
Clarko
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Clarko »

Now putting a chevy motor in a Mustang is the worst idea I've ever heard.
Sorry, could help you but I'm not going to.
Brian
1969 F-250 Ranger Camper Special 465FE/C6 (waiting on AOD)
1988 Bronco 351W/AOD
1994 Bronco 351W/E4OD
burndout

hmm

Post by burndout »

im sorry you feel that way but mod for mod an ls1 would over take a 302, and i did thin about the 351w to 408 but then the daily driver\weekend warrior thought is out the window. im jsut saying whether a 5.0. 4.6 5.4 5.7 what ever it may be... fast is fast... and its not that im not a ford guy, i love fords.. i have a explorer, jeep willys with a 302, and a fox with a 302... jsut need something different. i like how the ls1 puts down power and i like how the mustang looks. so why not have the best of both worlds? a mean ass mustang that would truly be able to hang with a camaro with a stock motor?
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

I think it should be a death penalty offense...

Buy a Chevy...

Oh and welcome... :wel:
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 68F250 »

Did you try here?

http://ls1mustang.com
Barry

"Are you gonna make it all 220?"
"Yeah 220, 221, whatever it takes."
Clarko
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: hmm

Post by Clarko »

burndout wrote:im sorry you feel that way but mod for mod an ls1 would over take a 302, and i did thin about the 351w to 408 but then the daily driver\weekend warrior thought is out the window. im jsut saying whether a 5.0. 4.6 5.4 5.7 what ever it may be... fast is fast... and its not that im not a ford guy, i love fords.. i have a explorer, jeep willys with a 302, and a fox with a 302... jsut need something different. i like how the ls1 puts down power and i like how the mustang looks. so why not have the best of both worlds? a mean ass mustang that would truly be able to hang with a camaro with a stock motor?
That's all in the cubes and the valves, the redline is stronger. I was talking with an engineer from AFR today (they're local and I know people who know people...) and even they found that part for part, a roller cam SBF will make more power than a SBC with similar mods. The F4TE roller 351W is a better engine than the LS1. You wait until the AFRs with the 8mm valves (like an LS1) come out and that gets rid of more valvetrain mass and lets you use less diameter springs. If it was a better motor and a better car, why would GM not sell any and cancel it? Ford fuel injection systems are also far superior to GM systems. Some aftermarket systems (Mass-Flo, etc.) are based on the Ford systems and are for any V8. Using chevy motors is just a cop out, just like the old hot rods. Nowadays a Ford street rod with a Ford motor is worth more than one with a chevy motor. I see chevy motors under Ford hoods and just think, "What a wussie."
Just like someone on here's signature:
In the words of Fred Offenhauser..... "There are street rods and there are hot rods.
Street rods have a Chevy up front and a can of wax in the back.
Hot rods have a Ford up front and tools in the back."

EDIT: Oh and do you know why chevy put a 350 back in the camaro in the late 80s (and subsequently kept a bigger motor in it)? They needed more cubes to try to beat the 5.0. AND they got rid of the throttle body and put the corvette TPI in it is because they needed a system to try to match Ford's Multi-Port SEFI
Brian
1988 Bronco 351W/AOD
1994 Bronco 351W/E4OD
gonzalo medina
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by gonzalo medina »

MAN :wink: I hate to be an instagator but WELL SAID. I just hope you didn't scare the guy of the site, that was some hard core facts :twisted:
Clarko
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Clarko »

I know too much trivia.

I HATE CROSSBREEDS!!!
Brian
1988 Bronco 351W/AOD
1994 Bronco 351W/E4OD
67highboy

Post by 67highboy »

I have to agree with you on that one clarko.
People who are willing to give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty or safety...

Ben Franklin 1775
Dropped 68

Post by Dropped 68 »

Yeah, I can't stand to see a perfectly good FORD ruined. :nono:
Not trying to be an a&*, I'd be more than happy to help w/ anything else, but I couldn't live w/ myself If I knew I had contributed to something so horrible.
burndout

Well Put..

Post by burndout »

i understand where you are coming from. im not so sure on the ford stuff, chevy stuffed motto yet, but, stock for stock an ls1 would not be the better route? your F4TE came in: 4x4 trucks vans etc.. large trucks and ford built them well, as for the afr's.. aftermarket.. not stock. why go spend all the money on aftermarket heads, gaskets, and the time to get to the same place as a stock ls1? now im not trying to start a war here.. im just trying to figure out the better route. a stock ls1 with a 4l60e vs a stock 351w roller, the ls1 would over come. i have 2 351w blocks in 90-95 ford trucks. the 351w motor stock only throws down about 210hp, the ls1 camaro 345hp, a difference of 135hp stock. im not looking at it as the "quick" way out. numbers dont lie. then next thing would be a 4.6, since we are comparing a van\truck to a sports car, which isnt fair. a sn95 stang 215hp, 99+ 320hp. so a 99+ 4.6 would not be the way to go? but weight, yes the weight. over head cams means less room, more moving parts etc.. like i said i think stock for stock the ls1 would be a better deal. over all i dont like the thought of a "crossbreed" but the fox mustang is a good set up, light, good rear end, looks better than any camaro firebird formula t\a what ever... the ls1 is a good motor, would be a daily driven, high horsepower STOCK set up. jsut need to know what would be required in the wiring, back to the main topic, to stich the ls1 to a fox. it will ahve all aftermarket gauges, but the ignition is where im a little lost. the ls1 is almost a standalone unit to run the motor, but the charging system ect is where it all is getting blury. your input is greatly welcome whether it is hating on the thought of an ls1 fox, or input on the wiring. enough hate and it might jsut get the 408w. :?
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

I got no problem with Chevy's as long as they are in Chevy’s, Mopars are great in Mopars and Fords belong in Fords.

That said if you want 350 horsepower that is a cakewalk in a Fox. You can do that with any number of crate motors, and if you already have 351 roller blocks even better, decent compression and decent heads and there you are...

I cannot imagine why you would want the aggravation and expense of putting a POS Chevy motor with POS Chevy electronics in a Fox when there are so many "off the shelf" Ford options. Heck for that matter there is always a Cobra 4V motor, if you want modern.

Really, if you want an LS1 great, more power to you, you can get them all day long bolted to Camaros, they are not even that expensive. There bound to be incentives on GTO's too now that they are discontinued.

If you want to keep the Ford, it deserves Ford power...
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
Leadfoot
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Leadfoot »

Man I do not like this idea, :x chevy in a Mustang, thats a big no no. that like me putting a Ford in a Corvette :eek:

You would take fords musle pony and do this, why? Fords small blocks don't cost more to build any more, back in the early days thats a difrent story.

For the electric harn. They cut the under dash stuff out and make a simple way to hook it up to the ign. some are also cut out to get rid of the trans controler in autos. I would show ya how but not if you are going to put it in a mustang. Get a 80's G body they make a nice ride, for that engine.

I still say don't chevy power a Mustang, that just sucks build a nice little 5.0l or 5.8l ford. You will wast to much time, effort and cash on a car no Ford person/or Chevy boy, would even respect or own.
WHAT ?
SmokeyBear
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by SmokeyBear »

I think I'll buy a lamborghini and put a renault leCar engine in it. 8)
70 F-100 XLT
"Christine" Gone but not forgotten.
72 F-100 Ranger XLT
Clarko
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: Well Put..

Post by Clarko »

burndout wrote:i understand where you are coming from. im not so sure on the ford stuff, chevy stuffed motto yet, but, stock for stock an ls1 would not be the better route? your F4TE came in: 4x4 trucks vans etc.. large trucks and ford built them well
Well let's look at it this way. 87-95 5.0s were TRUCK 5.0s, with the only exception being the camshaft. Those, and the 351Ws all had E7TE heads. IF you put a 5.0 HO camshaft (stock 86-95) in that 351W, use all your current electrical (assuming you have an 89-93) and get a non-truck intake manifold. What year is your car?
Brian
1988 Bronco 351W/AOD
1994 Bronco 351W/E4OD