Front drive line

4x4 & Off-road Forum Archives

Moderator: Doug Comer

Doug Comer
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Front drive line

Post by Doug Comer »

Any one ever shorten there own drive line? I had a dana 44 up front and went to a dana 60 and now mine is too long. A friend of mine said he had done it in his 66 and it worked fine. If it was for the back I would take it to a shop and have it balanced, but for the front it almost seems like waste. What do you think?
Faithful Old Road Dog
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Faithful Old Road Dog »

I know that whenever I've used 4wd, I'm not going faster than 30 mph. I'd still have a shop shorten it for me, just because they have a lathe and can ensure it's centered. I'd have it balanced as well, even if I never really go that fast in 4wd to make a huge difference. That's just me.
460 crew
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 460 crew »

I had a local shop chop mine when I did the same swap to a HP D60 cost me 50 bucks. It's the lenthening and building them that they rape you on. I'm sure you could pull the front off at home and get by if you take your time and maybe just take it in if you feel a really bad vibration when it's engaged.
1970 4x4 Crewcab build and 12v cummins conversion
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=17179
heep70
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

re: Front drive line

Post by heep70 »

I just shortened my rear drive line on my Toyota. Its easy. Cut as close to the weld on the tube side. The yoke is necked. Clean it up, cut what you need off the tube and fit it back together.

Its better to put it on a lathe to square it up before putting it back together.

I also did my front drive line. Except it is square tubed. 16" of travel. This you can not balance, but who cares. It will never twist.
Greg

1971 F250 "Highboy". SOLD to "Highboy_Firefighter_71"
2000 Subaru Outback limited.
2000 F250 4X4 PSD SuperDuty Crew.
2010 Polaris 800RMK Dragon 155"
2013 Polaris Pro 800 RMK 163"
1980 Built Toyota "Trail Rig".
My last 1971 "Highboy" pics
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

You don't need a lathe. And like everyone says the front driveline isn't that important because it doesn't spin fast. My trucks got 1350 yoke oversize slip 3.5" chromoly center and rear drivelines for what I use it for, but I don't put much of a load on the front driveline. The fastest, best way to whack it yourself is to cut a 4x4 driveline at the non-slip end, shorten it, pound it back together and put it in the truck before you weld it. Put a dial indicator on it and tap it true with a hammer while spinning it. Weld it in place with MIG or 3/32 7018 and you're good to go. You won't know it's not balanced. I try to get them within .005" of indicator travel, but some drivelines just aren't round to start with.

To extend my own drivelines I find a 2 3/4" and a 3" driveline and slip one over the other to get the right length. These probably aren't that strong, but have actually held up pretty good for me.

I have a 20"X84" gap bed engine lathe that I picked up with the intention of using it for driveline work, but never have. It's too much hassle when a driveline shop will do a perfect job for $50. I mostly use the big lathe for turning "C"s and tubes off front axles when I'm retubing an axle. Makes that stuff a snap, but the setup and fixtures involved to make a perfect driveline just aren't worth it to me to do myself.
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

re: Front drive line

Post by FORDification »

Here's a good article to read to get some idea of what you'd be doing. It's dealing with Jeeps, but the info is still very informative:

http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/shaft/diydriveshaft/
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!