Throwout Bearing Install Help

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

1970Inline

Throwout Bearing Install Help

Post by 1970Inline »

I'm on day two of getting my butt kicked with a throwout bearing install. Does anyone have any pointers or helpful hints on installation? Transmision is a 3.03 manual.

I pulled the tranny out, but when I attempt to reinstall it with the new throwout bearing, I can't get the bearing to align on the input shaft. So, I then pulled the bell housing, but I ran into similiar problems which was amplified by a limited workspace, since I could not pull it away from the engine more than four inches.

Thanks in advance.
1970 F-100 Custom
240 w/ Clifford Intake, Headers and Dual Exhaust
cdeal28078
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

re: Throwout Bearing Install Help

Post by cdeal28078 »

Are you having trouble lining up the throw-out bearing or linging up the input shaft into the pilot bearing?
Are you sure it is the correct throw-out bearing? Does it fit the input shaft?
On some trannies when I have had problems lining everything up I have taken some all-thread in the four bolt holes to help hold the tranny and line everything up.
Are you using a jack to hold the tranny or muscleing it up? A jack sure helps.
I always tried to replace the clutch set up when I messed with something like that just due to being there anyway kind of deal.
What part of NC are you in? If close enough maybe me or someone can drop in to lend a hand
clint
71 F100 SportCustom
460 C6. Disc Brake/Power-steering/automatic Swap. 3.00
1986 Bronco 5.0 AOD
1970Inline

Post by 1970Inline »

The throwout bearing fits onto the the input shaft when it is perfectly aligned. Trouble is, I can only get it perfectly aligned when I place it on by hand. If I put it on the clutch fork and slide the tranny in, it becomes slightly canted and will not slide on.

I have come close on several occasions to getting everything setup correctly, only to have the bearing pop of the clutch fork (trying to get both clips attached), and slide off the input shaft. The frustration factor was overwhelming, so I was looking for additional inputs.

I did replace the clutch when I put the new engine in last week. That was how I jacked up the throwout bearing to begin with. Engine ran great, but unable to engage the clutch.

I will try the all-thread idea and see if that helps. I am in Jacksonville, so that would be quite a drive, thanks for the offer though.
1970 F-100 Custom
jor
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by jor »

So 1970, did you figure out what the problem was on the throwout bearing installation? Thanks.
jor
1970Inline

Post by 1970Inline »

Yeah, finally got it. What a pain though. Spend 15 minutes getting everything aligned only to have the throwout bearing pop off the clutch fork. It took several attempts to finally get it right. There are probably better ways of getting it done (instead of pulling the bellhousing, clutch fork, and tranny).
1970 F-100 Custom