Hydrogen Powered FE!

General Discussion Topic Archives
OldBlue67
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by OldBlue67 »

Cool, but not for me. That set up took an engine that dyno-ed at 600HP on gasoline and made it only 270HP. Plus that big ol' tank in the back (said it would hold something like 87 liters of liquid?) only holds 5 minutes worth of hydrogen. Makes my frequent stops at the pump look like nothin ;) Like I said, its pretty cool that you can do stuff like that, buuut :P
~Liz
Old Blue Truck is Old and Blue
Ugly as sin but dont get in my way VA-ROOOOOOMMMMM!! :evil: :evil:
bleedfordblue

re: Hydrogen Powered FE!

Post by bleedfordblue »

I agree.. the biggest part of the problem is the fact that it takes a rediculous emount of electricity to make just a little bit of hydrogen. If they ever do harness hydrogen, it probably won't be in our lifetime.
I'd rather be shooting yankees....

and terrorists.
spartman
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by spartman »

Why fool with hydrogen when you can make your own ethanol.

Found this while looking around.

http://running_on_alcohol.tripod.com/index.html
bluef250
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by bluef250 »

Wonderful idea but to many issues with H2. Some form of alcohol would be more practical or even an electric powered vehicle. Even a derived fuel similar to gasoline from alcohol or other organics would be more practical to achieve a greater energy density. If you look at the history of vehicle fuels, this discussion, with extensive research, was done more than 100 years ago. Gasoline, with lead(!!!), was the best, least expenisve, most practical fuel of all tested. The IC engine then was "free" to evolve to today. Now, we are readdressing the debate. The question I have, "Will we have the capital to "survive" or will we regress to another "dark age?" (Which when considered, really was not so dark.) :2cents:
steveheer

Post by steveheer »

It was an interesting article BUT, what happened? So it rained--So what?? Did they ever get to test it? :hmm:
Steve
69 F100 300I6
67 Mustang fb FE 431ci
72 Gran Torino Sport 351W
91 Bronco 351
pat67shorty

Post by pat67shorty »

http://running_on_alcohol.tripod.com/index.html

I'm seriously considering this...

Anyone know where to get 14:1 pistons for a 390? :D
'67 SWB, 1970 car 390, Edelbrock Streetmaster intake, MSD 6AL, 780 Holley, Hedman headers, 2.5 duals, 3.54 D44 L/S, C6.
xxxtina63
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by xxxtina63 »

E85 is 102 octane. It burns clean and is better for the engine because it burns cooler, with less carbon buildup
Is E85 really 102? My truck runs like poop on 87 and worse on E85. Think the E85 is a case of too much octane? Also, I don't know what other parts of the U.S. have, but in MN almost all fuel is an ethanol blend. So my question is this: Why is it that if you go to the gas station and look at the caps of the in-ground tanks, the ones with the higher ethanol content are more corroded?

Also, there are a variety of methods of producing hydrogen. One of the fuel cell approaches applies electrical current (sort of) to gasoline. This rapidly breaks down the molecules to produce more than enough H2 to run an engine with some to spare. The yield is far superior to a conventional gasoline engine (better mpg) but has not been passed by EPA standards. This is the most likely set up you'll see in the near future.

Mostly, I put this up for discussion, not to argue what's best, but for options. I love my truck and I love the FE, but I hate having to pay a Middle-Eastern terrorist for gas just so he can turn around and buy guns to try to kill me with. The FE is not know for its efficiency, and with rising prices (Thank You Exxon!) we must learn to adapt or become gradually extinct.

However, I'm not even going to discuss methanol. If my truck requires me to cr*p in a bucket and put it in a backyard sewage plant, then that's it. It becomes a yard ornament. :D
spartman
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by spartman »

pat67shorty wrote:http://running_on_alcohol.tripod.com/index.html

I'm seriously considering this...

Anyone know where to get 14:1 pistons for a 390? :D
Hey pat if you look up about 3 posts that is the same link I posted. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Great minds do think alike.

Anybody know where I can get those 14:1 pistons for my 240?
binder56jd
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by binder56jd »

this site has a very good explanation of e85 fuel

http://www.agriculture.state.ia.us/e85q&a.html

short answer- e85 higher octane/ less energy & more corrosive
"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here" — Jack Nicholson, As Good As it Gets

now serving #235

"the only way to believe in the American dream is to be asleep"--GC

How much easier it is to be critical than to be correct. - Benjamin Disraeli
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

making a still isn't that hard. its finding an engine or engine parts that it will run on.
bleedfordblue

Post by bleedfordblue »

all you gotta do is jet your carb richer in these older vhicles.... the newer F.I. motors are the picky ones... that's why I drive my 68. I don't need a computer and 188 sensors to oprerate an engine. not to mention the cost of those sensors... the cost of catalytic converters... no thanks...

OLD TRUCKS RULE!!!
I'd rather be shooting yankees....

and terrorists.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

i was speaking of hydrogen engines.
bleedfordblue

Post by bleedfordblue »

O :oops: