1973 f100 automatic

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

dwcasey

1973 f100 automatic

Post by dwcasey »

I bought this truck a couple of years ago to help me out with some handy-man work I was doing at the time.

Work slowed down so I haven't been driving the truck as much. Last time I got in it, it was having transmission problems. I put a little (too much) transmission fluid in because it's always had a small leak since I got.

Well, I ended up having problems with it staying in 1st (I believe it's a C4 transmission). Now it doesn't want to go forward, but reverse works.

I decided to do a minor service on it. So, I went ahead and dropped the pan and drained the fluid. In the bottom of the pan was a small yellow/orange piece of plastic with a ball at one end and a rubber ring in the middle of the ball.

What is this thing and how did it get in the bottom of the pan? Also, where is the filter on this truck?

Sorry, I'm not very mechanical, I only do the basics, and I no nothing about for transmissions.

Thanks for the help!
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

re: 1973 f100 automatic

Post by FORDification »

First of all let me welcome you to the forums, dwcasey. Glad to have you aboard.

Wish I could help you, but transmission internals are an area I'm pretty fuzzy on. And I hate to direct you to off-site help on your very first post here, but I'd suggest posting your question in the Ford Tranny Talk forum at http://www.network54.com/Forum/260730 , since they're much more equipped to help you with your problem.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
heep70
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by heep70 »

:wel: dwcasey. Let us know what you find out.
Greg

1971 F250 "Highboy". SOLD to "Highboy_Firefighter_71"
2000 Subaru Outback limited.
2000 F250 4X4 PSD SuperDuty Crew.
2010 Polaris 800RMK Dragon 155"
2013 Polaris Pro 800 RMK 163"
1980 Built Toyota "Trail Rig".
My last 1971 "Highboy" pics
rtimm

Post by rtimm »

It sounds like a Case fill (as opposed to a pan fill), the dip stick goes into the case and not into the right front of the pan. If so, what you have is a plug that was put in the fill tube at the factory and pushed into the pan the first time the dip stick was inserted-not a problem, throw it away.
What it tells me is that, this is the first time the pan has been off (first time the fluid has been changed!). the filter is that kidney shaped bulge on the valve body with the black rubber gromet in the big end that is held on with one 7/16" head and several 5/16" head screws.
NOTE: the 7/16" head bolt is near a tab on the filter that has a spring and check valve behind it! Remove slowly so you can tell how to put it back.
Use TYPE F or FA fluid.
As far as No Forward go, its probably your front clutch pack or piston seals. Master rebuild kit is about $50.00 at NAPA.
Good Luck.
rtimm

Post by rtimm »

Added thought: Check for ATF in the vacuum lines going to the Modulator Valve on the Right Rear of the Transmission. If oil is there, you will need to replace the Valve.
dwcasey

Post by dwcasey »

Thanks guys for the info. First time the pan has been off? Not good. I'll get a new gasket and filter and some fluid on my lunch break and give'er a go this evening.

Any idea how much fluid I need?

Thanks again!
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 68F250 »

That plug means you've got a virgin tranny!

Make sure you are putting in Type F fluid, it you topped it off with anything else you need to drain it all out including the converter and start over.
dwcasey

Post by dwcasey »

It's been draining overnight, so it should be good and empty.

What do you mean about converter?

I found a kit at NAPA that included new gasket, filter and filter gasket for about $7.50.
dwcasey

Post by dwcasey »

Just a thought. How about I put the new filter in, fill it with type F, run it for about 1000 miles, then drain it again and replace the filter? Too much? Not necessary?
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 68F250 »

Just one quart of the wrong type of fluid will destroy the viscosity properties of type F.

Even if you drained your tranny overnight, there's still a lot of fluid left inside the torque converter. To drain it, remove the inspection cover and bump the engine over until you can see the square-headed drain plug sticking thru the access hole in the flexplate. Stick a bucket underneath and remove the plug, you should get 4 - 5 quarts out of it. Replace the plug and reinstall the inspection cover.

I think one draining should be enough.

To fill the transmission, pour in 6 quarts and start the engine (leave it in park) and then add 4 - 5 more quarts while checking the dipstick (don't overfill it).
dwcasey

Post by dwcasey »

One more question. What's the diff between Type F and Type Fa transmission fluid?
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 68F250 »

You're talking about the Valvoline type FA? AFAIK, it exceeds the Ford spec M2C33-F and can be used in place of type F.

I don't know what the difference is between them.