1967 F350 flatbed dually

General Discussion Topic Archives
Leadfoot
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: 1967 F350 flatbed dually

Post by Leadfoot »

also remember you will have drum brakes all around and on that one tonne that just is scary trust me. you over load that thing good luck stopping it.
also in a parking lot you will find with out power steering your arms will be burning and people will even laugh at you and point :eek: I hope its a short wheel base. also on the manual steering trucks at slow speeds the rag joint has a tendency to snap so if you force the wheel in a turn you can smash the hell out of your arms and hands. :shh:
WHAT ?
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ToughOldFord »

:2cents: People's fears of drum brakes are exaggerated. Once again I point out that semi trucks today are still running drum brakes. If they're good enough to stop 80,000lbs then they're good enough to stop a one ton. One tons have very large drums and brakes so obviously they have more braking power than a 1/2 ton. The only time drums really create a problem is if you get water in them.
binder56jd
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by binder56jd »

drums have more stopping power
"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here" — Jack Nicholson, As Good As it Gets

now serving #235

"the only way to believe in the American dream is to be asleep"--GC

How much easier it is to be critical than to be correct. - Benjamin Disraeli
FLATBEDFORD
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by FLATBEDFORD »

Mine stops as well as my '96 F250. I just figured out that my rear brakes aren't even working and it still stops pretty good with only the front drums. Except when I had about 2 yards of damp top soil in it last week and the fronts locked and the truck kept going! I guess I'll have to do some investigating. I'm thinking maybe seized wheel cylinders because the truck will stop (slowly) with the emergency brake, and the master cylinder is new.
Steve

1970 F350 DRW Factory 9' Platform/Stake, 360, T18.
Passed on to new care taker July, 2013

My Photo Gallery
http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n298/flatbedford/
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ToughOldFord »

Yep, my '69 F250 with 4 way power drums stops just as well as my previous '84 F250 with power disc/drum and my '79 F250 with power disc/drum before that. And both the '84 and '79 and dual piston calipers.

FBF, FWIT a guy I know has a 67 F-350 and he tells me there's a second proportioning valve of sorts on the frame between the cab and duals for the rear brakes.
FLATBEDFORD
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by FLATBEDFORD »

TOF, You mean in addition to the valve that makes that darn red light come on? I'll have to have a look tomorrow. I don't remember seeing anything like that under the truck, but maybe I haven't looked hard enough.
Steve

1970 F350 DRW Factory 9' Platform/Stake, 360, T18.
Passed on to new care taker July, 2013

My Photo Gallery
http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n298/flatbedford/
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ToughOldFord »

That's right, there's another one. His mechanic told him the one tons had another one and he thought his mechanic was all wet until they crawled under the truck and the mechanic showed it to him.
He tried to show it to me, but I wasn't inspired enough to crawl under the truck, but from what I could see from squatting I could see there was a valve of some kind on the back side of the frame.
Leadfoot
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Leadfoot »

:hmm: commercial tractors brakes are water cooled at lease around here. Now if you take a drum ya its better at braking until they get hot then they suck, you might as well drag your feet out the door your not stopping any way.

trust me I over load my f350 with drums and man it gets scary coming down them hills. I mean its about 20 time worse than my 1/2 tonne. and bigger drums just mean more heat and man you don't want to even touch the rim after heavy braking. well at least you let it cool for ten or so minutes first.
WHAT ?