lx1 fox body

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

Big D's 69
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Big D's 69 »

Well being a former LS1 guy. The Ford mod motors don't make near the power as a LS1. Stock for stock or mod for mod. To make a mod motor run with a LS1 you have to spend a lot of money. I spent about 2k on the motor and it was running low 12's. To get a Mod motor to do that 2k wouldn't get your heads done. Just my 2 cents.
1969 Ford F-100. 302 4 barrel, C4 auto, 9in 3.50 open rear, headers, power steering, Turq/wht, Under restoration. In other words, in a million pieces!!!

There is no Replacement for Displacment!!!

My Photo Gallery: http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?album=655
Clarko
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Clarko »

I'm also going to say, do not go Mod Motor, unless you want more top-end.
The overhead cam motors are all about top end, that's where they breathe the best. If you are going to go drag race, you need more torque then they can offer. It's been proven that an 03-04 Cobra is faster than a 02 SS Camaro. (Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords September 2002) The LS1 is more expensive then the 2-Valve motors. The 3 and 4-Valves are about the same as an LS1 but the 99-up PI motors are great, regardless of valving (as opposed to the 98-down).
What are you looking for out of this car?
Brian
1969 F-250 Ranger Camper Special 465FE/C6 (waiting on AOD)
1988 Bronco 351W/AOD
1994 Bronco 351W/E4OD
burndout

what im looking for

Post by burndout »

mainly i am looking for a good daily driver that will not kill me to drive 45 minutes to work and back in heavy traffic, not over heat, a\c, auto, mid size stall, that isnt afraid to still throw down on a friday night. not im not one to b*tch about gas mil. but a ls1 get decent mil. stock. a 408w would kill me, alot of ppl say they get hot even with the best of coolong systems. plus i have alot of friends that have been the mustang route ( a friend with a 9 sec turbo 90 lx ) that now has a 99 ls1 camaro and jsut loves the camaro. there are lots of aftermarket for the ls1, a guy here in town is one of the best tuners ( Ed Wright ) for the ls1, it jsut comes in to play a little better. also jsut to be different, i mean how many ls1 or lt1 mustangs do you see? maybe someone will put an 03 cobra in a t\a or camaro. in all it would be a good route for me, i have access to all the parts i will\would need and would be a fun project. im not sure if you guys visit the ls1tech.com forum much but you should check out the hybrids section and see all the clean fox's with ls1's, very very nicely done. in just waiting for the 68' short bed ranger to get her ls1 :)

my car is a 89 gt.
Clarko
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: what im looking for

Post by Clarko »

burndout wrote:mainly i am looking for a good daily driver that will not kill me to drive 45 minutes to work and back in heavy traffic, not over heat, a\c, auto, mid size stall, that isnt afraid to still throw down on a friday night. not im not one to b*tch about gas mil. but a ls1 get decent mil. stock. a 408w would kill me, alot of ppl say they get hot even with the best of coolong systems. plus i have alot of friends that have been the mustang route ( a friend with a 9 sec turbo 90 lx ) that now has a 99 ls1 camaro and jsut loves the camaro. there are lots of aftermarket for the ls1, a guy here in town is one of the best tuners ( Ed Wright ) for the ls1, it jsut comes in to play a little better. also jsut to be different, i mean how many ls1 or lt1 mustangs do you see? maybe someone will put an 03 cobra in a t\a or camaro. in all it would be a good route for me, i have access to all the parts i will\would need and would be a fun project. im not sure if you guys visit the ls1tech.com forum much but you should check out the hybrids section and see all the clean fox's with ls1's, very very nicely done. in just waiting for the 68' short bed ranger to get her ls1 :)

my car is a 89 gt.
Well if you read that I'm just talking about a 351W, not a 408, then you'll see my comparison
A 408 is an overbore on a 351. When you make a thin-cylinder-walled block even thinner, then you run into cooling problems. Nothing a decent electric fan and a big aluminum radiator won't cure. If you're going to be talking about chevy motors in Fords, then I beleive you should find peoplw who enjoy crossbreeds like that. There are many people with chevy motors in Fords out there and I'm sure they will be more than happy to help you out. I won't help at all though. Have a good day.
Brian
Brian
1969 F-250 Ranger Camper Special 465FE/C6 (waiting on AOD)
1988 Bronco 351W/AOD
1994 Bronco 351W/E4OD