KROIL Penetrating oil/Rust Buster

Discuss your workshop and related equipment

Moderator: FORDification

Albeix

KROIL Penetrating oil/Rust Buster

Post by Albeix »

Kroil is both the most expensive and best penetrating oil/Rust buster I have ever seen. My 79 F150 has broken front springs. When I started looking at replacing them I realized that the lower 1 1/8" Nut was likely permanently rusted into the stud. In looking around on the interweb I came across someone extoling the performance of Kroil. Went on amazon and took a chance. Bought a 13 oz spray can for $60 Cdn.
I have sprayed a bit on each nut daily for a week and today thought "well lets see if this stuff t is as good as the claims". Put a wrench on it (box end) gave it a moderate whack with a 2.5Lb hammer and be damned of the nut isn't turning.
Bottom line is the stuff is as good as it is claimed to be. Not cheap, but the one can should last a couple of years or more.
Jbarnes79

Re: KROIL Penetrating oil/Rust Buster

Post by Jbarnes79 »

Recently an ATF/Acetone mixed 50/50 has been highly popularized and very cheap to make at home. A test was done on the breaking torque of that along with many off the shelf penetrants. The Acetone/ATF mix beat them all. I've been using this for the last several months and it simply blew my mind on how effective it is.

Here's what I found on the breaking torque and price of different penetrants......

Penetrating oil . Average load .. Price per fluid ounce
None ................. 516 pounds .
WD-40 .............. 238 pounds .. $0.25
PB Blaster ......... 214 pounds .. $0.35
Liquid Wrench ... 127 pounds .. $0.21
Kano Kroil ........ 106 pounds .. $0.75
ATF-Acetone mix.. 53 pounds .. $0.10
http://fordification.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=67810

1969 F250 4x4
1969 F250 Crew cab (Sold)
1972 F250
1969 & 1970 Mustang
jzjames
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: KROIL Penetrating oil/Rust Buster

Post by jzjames »

ATF/acetone is what I use, and has worked better than the other products I’ve used.
For the very stubborn rusted out bolts I alternate it with heat from the torch. Gets the fluid to suck in.
And patience.