1969 F250 4x4 Highboy 7/9 rubicon

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: 1969 F250 4x4 Highboy 2/3/13

Post by 1971ford »

I measured the crossmember and it is 3x5". Pretty sure I used .250 wall. I used 1" solid plate, the width of the inside of the crossmember (2.5"?) to rosettle weld and plate into the crossmember tube (can see in the pics). If i remember correctly, the spring bushing hole dropped down about a 1/2". So that's only 1/4" lift. It does help counter the longer shackles though bringing my caster back closer to original spec.

Been putting a lot of late night hours into the truck trying to get it together ASAP as I have no truck to drive anymore (Ranger prerunner isn't street legal).

Did the KDP Fix, installed new crank seal, and got the cummins all back together after some serious clean up, paint and shining up!
New filters, oil, and other goodies.

Did anyone notice?
Shaved and stripped air horn, and TIG welded and shaved gutted grid heater.

Got it to fit in the garage by airing the tires down a lot.
-Ryan
koch68

Re: 1969 F250 4x4 Highboy 2/19/13

Post by koch68 »

This truck is badass. Its my favorite truck of all time. I really would like to copy yours haha.
Taylor-
1968 F250 Highboy np435 dana 24 4.10's
68fordguy

Re: 1969 F250 4x4 Highboy 2/3/13

Post by 68fordguy »

1971ford wrote:I measured the crossmember and it is 3x5". Pretty sure I used .250 wall. I used 1" solid plate, the width of the inside of the crossmember (2.5"?) to rosettle weld and plate into the crossmember tube (can see in the pics). If i remember correctly, the spring bushing hole dropped down about a 1/2". So that's only 1/4" lift. It does help counter the longer shackles though bringing my caster back closer to original spec.
[ Image ]

Been putting a lot of late night hours into the truck trying to get it together ASAP as I have no truck to drive anymore (Ranger prerunner isn't street legal).

Did the KDP Fix, installed new crank seal, and got the cummins all back together after some serious clean up, paint and shining up!
[ Image ]
[ Image ]

Did anyone notice?
[ Image ]

[ Image ]
Alright cool ill have to fab one of those up! And so you ended up getting 4 in procomp springs for the front right? Or did you just stick with the sd stockers with the couple added leafs from the Highboys back on? And when you had the stock sds on there was it back to stock ride height or did you notice any lift, not including the sagging of course! Because this is mine I would ideally like to get maybe 2.5 in of lift with putting the sd fronts as well as add a leafs in the rear. Just wondering what your take would be on this, or should I just go the 4 inches I just want a nice set of 33s or at most 35s on there, mines a daily driver and in the spring will be taken down to the frame.
Here's a shot of the frontend let me know what ya think!
http://m1266.photobucket.com/albumview/ ... 4&newest=1
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

koch68 wrote:This truck is badass. Its my favorite truck of all time. I really would like to copy yours haha.
Thanks!
68fordguy wrote:
1971ford wrote:I measured the crossmember and it is 3x5". Pretty sure I used .250 wall. I used 1" solid plate, the width of the inside of the crossmember (2.5"?) to rosettle weld and plate into the crossmember tube (can see in the pics). If i remember correctly, the spring bushing hole dropped down about a 1/2". So that's only 1/4" lift. It does help counter the longer shackles though bringing my caster back closer to original spec.
[ Image ]

[ Image ]
[ Image ]

Did anyone notice?
[ Image ]

[ Image ]
Alright cool ill have to fab one of those up! And so you ended up getting 4 in procomp springs for the front right? Or did you just stick with the sd stockers with the couple added leafs from the Highboys back on? And when you had the stock sds on there was it back to stock ride height or did you notice any lift, not including the sagging of course! Because this is mine I would ideally like to get maybe 2.5 in of lift with putting the sd fronts as well as add a leafs in the rear. Just wondering what your take would be on this, or should I just go the 4 inches I just want a nice set of 33s or at most 35s on there, mines a daily driver and in the spring will be taken down to the frame.
Here's a shot of the frontend let me know what ya think!
http://m1266.photobucket.com/albumview/ ... 4&newest=1
Yeah I'm running the procomp superduty 4 or 5" lift springs. It was stock ride height with the stock superduty springs. If you plan on running 33's I would leave it stock height. If you want to run 35's i personally think 2-4" of lift looks great with 35's. You could just spring for the superduty spring swap like i did. Although remember it isn't a direct bolt on swap.
-Ryan
68fordguy

Post by 68fordguy »

Ok we'll I have time to figure out what I'm going to do because in ct here were in a foot of snow and 20 degree weather right now plus it's a dd now so I'll wait another month or so before I do suspension and think it would be easiest when the trucks all apart and I'm restoring it this summer when I'm off. But so then I'll just re register my 2wd shortbed and drive that but I have to wait to do that anyway until I figure out what I'm doing for a transmission to run behind my 428CJ. I'm so eager to tear the Highboy down but I'm really enjoying dd it and wheelin it now haha. anyway i have been pretty set on the superduty springs for a while and I wouldn't mind a little lift but I think if I run 33ats for the most part on the road but also want to be able to put 35s or even 37s military's under it in the future. So if I put the 4 in procomp springs on the front I need to move the rear hangers back and when I fab up the front crossmember hitch deal with those measurements I should be all set? And also of course longer shocks and u bolt. Then in the rear you just put add a leafs?
Sorry to keep making you restate this stuff just with all the adjustments and fails and everything it gets confusing haha. And also if I did just want to run the stock superdutys first then switch to the 4" what do I have to do with the hangers?
Thanks again man
-Scott
koch68

Post by koch68 »

I am building a front hitch like yours and have got to the point of building the front hangers any sugestions? Should I put then a little bit more forward then stock since im using superduty springs also?
Taylor-
KRob

Post by KRob »

Ryan,

I cant seem to find what your doing suspension wise now. Im thinking about 37 military tires as well and i am curious what i would have to do to get there.

Thanks
Rob
71 F250 4x4, 4BT Cummins Mostly Done...Project Thread http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=65450
(4BT, big block ZF5, 78 NP205, 78 Dana 44 Front axle, 4.10, 265/75/16, power steering, power brakes)
01 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins...turned up a little.
Zukinut

Post by Zukinut »

Ryan,

Do you mind if I send you a pm, this next winter the f350 is going under the knife. It's getting a front 60 and a cummins. The cummins isn't an issue with me, but front suspension is.

Your truck is beyond badass.

Will
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

68fordguy wrote:Ok we'll I have time to figure out what I'm going to do because in ct here were in a foot of snow and 20 degree weather right now plus it's a dd now so I'll wait another month or so before I do suspension and think it would be easiest when the trucks all apart and I'm restoring it this summer when I'm off. But so then I'll just re register my 2wd shortbed and drive that but I have to wait to do that anyway until I figure out what I'm doing for a transmission to run behind my 428CJ. I'm so eager to tear the Highboy down but I'm really enjoying dd it and wheelin it now haha. anyway i have been pretty set on the superduty springs for a while and I wouldn't mind a little lift but I think if I run 33ats for the most part on the road but also want to be able to put 35s or even 37s military's under it in the future. So if I put the 4 in procomp springs on the front I need to move the rear hangers back and when I fab up the front crossmember hitch deal with those measurements I should be all set? And also of course longer shocks and u bolt. Then in the rear you just put add a leafs?
Sorry to keep making you restate this stuff just with all the adjustments and fails and everything it gets confusing haha. And also if I did just want to run the stock superdutys first then switch to the 4" what do I have to do with the hangers?
Thanks again man
-Scott
Yeah, 4-6" springs (different sites list different amounts of lift... i can get the number off of my springs so you know which springs i have). You don't move the rear hanger back. It's imbedded into the frame, that would be a hell of a project. You just need to make longer shackles. Not sure how much longer mine are over stock but i can measure mine. New u-bolts and new shocks of course. For the shocks, i couldn't find decent peg to peg style shocks in the correct length so I got peg to eyeley conversion bracket deals for the bottom of the shocks (at the axle) and got eyelet to peg style shocks. Yeah the rear of mine is stock leaf springs with added leaf springs. It's funny... the rear flexes way more than the front procomp springs do. With all the wheeling (lots of rubicon trips planned) the truck will see this summer, I'm going to start re-designing the suspension on this thing to get it to flex more both front and rear.
If you ran stock superdutys then the lift springs, you would just need to change shocks, and possibly shackles depending on how long you made them for the stock superduty springs.
Also don't forget about driveline length when lifting the truck up. I re-tubed my front driveline with .250 wall tubing and had it dialed perfectly with no balancing. Good idea to take it to a driveline shop though if you dont have the right tools.
koch68 wrote:I am building a front hitch like yours and have got to the point of building the front hangers any sugestions? Should I put then a little bit more forward then stock since im using superduty springs also?
I already forget exactly where i put the front spring holes in relation to stock, but i know they are about an inch lower than stock due to the crossmember sitting under the frame, and i do believe i moved the hole forward a half inch or so...
KRob wrote:Ryan,

I cant seem to find what your doing suspension wise now. Im thinking about 37 military tires as well and i am curious what i would have to do to get there.

Thanks
Rob
The above replies should help a little. I"ll try my best to remember to get various measurements tomorrow along with the leaf spring part number and such to help you guys out. Wish i could remember more!
Zukinut wrote:Ryan,

Do you mind if I send you a pm, this next winter the f350 is going under the knife. It's getting a front 60 and a cummins. The cummins isn't an issue with me, but front suspension is.

Your truck is beyond badass.

Will
Go for it!

I've been busy... 6-10 hours of work every night. Although half of this goes to my other project.
Ran a tap through every single threaded hole on the trucks body tonight. Getting ready to put the front clip all back on.

Plated in the mounts finally. Been putting it off for so long because of how hard it is to get the gun anywhere near the joint to weld. I managed.

and had a buddy throw some parts in the sandblasting booth the other day
Image.

This is what has been taking up countless hours and just under $2k now. 9" i'm almost done building for the other truck. Getting that truck ready to race this season. Very excited.. and broke.
-Ryan
koch68

Re: 1969 F250 4x4 Highboy 3/6/13

Post by koch68 »

i moved the hole on my shackles down 1/2 inch and forward 1" and the wheelbase is set at 131 3/8 roughly so its pretty close and im ok with it.
Taylor-
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: 1969 F250 4x4 Highboy 3/6/13

Post by 1971ford »

Stripped the core support down.
Re-welded the radiator supports

Made some special deals for my core support mounting to lock it in place with the new bushings.

Painted core support and installed for good along with radiator
-Ryan
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: 1969 F250 4x4 Highboy 3/9/13

Post by robroy »

Good day Ryan,

That's sure looking great--I enjoy reading your updates and checking out your photos.

Robroy
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Where'd you get those core support bushings? I'm not impressed with the aftermarket replacements I've seen. Truck looks great!
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
68fordguy

Post by 68fordguy »

Great job Ryan and yeah where did you get those core support bushings I'm interested as well! Looks mint!
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

Thanks Robroy!

Sargentrs and 68fordguy... are you referring to these?

If so, I made those.

If you're talking about the actual rubber puck core support bushings, I got some body mount kit from someone a long time ago for an old ford and sold the cab mounts and kept the core support bushing deals. Popped them on the frame, made my deals and bolted it down!
Sorry i'm no help finding them now, like i said i just snagged them out of some body mount kit i had a long time ago.

No progress on the highboy lately. Been building my other truck lately, getting ready for the desert races.

-Ryan