bumps with lowered altitude!! (lots of great custom bumps!!)

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

dantheman71
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: bumps with lowered altitude!! (lots of great custom bumps!!)

Post by dantheman71 »

Jaustin wrote:Here is a picture of my truck with the lowering arms installed, I also did a disc brake conversion at the same time. Now all i need is to get new coils since the driver side is about a half an inch lower.

I think what you mean is that you need to trim the coil on the passenger side slightly to get it down lower like the driver side!! :lol:

Looks good :thup:
1972 Ford F-100
2002 Ford F-150
2002 Yamaha Raptor 660
Check out my NEW build thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 93#p641993
Jaustin

Post by Jaustin »

Well i would have but the driver side is about a quarter inch off the tire. I have 15x8's all around it now but would like to put A/R 309's on it. 6's up front and 8's in back but have to wait till my wife gets a new [censored], I tell her she has a sink, stove and a refridgerator what else does she need, but I keep getting dirty looks so... I'll be waiting a while.
1972 F100 Explorer lwb,390/c6,
1966 Chevy II 2dr ht, 383/700r4
1963 Chevy Biscayne 2dr post, 350/M22
dantheman71
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by dantheman71 »

Jaustin wrote:Well i would have but the driver side is about a quarter inch off the tire. I have 15x8's all around it now but would like to put A/R 309's on it. 6's up front and 8's in back but have to wait till my wife gets a new [censored], I tell her she has a sink, stove and a refridgerator what else does she need, but I keep getting dirty looks so... I'll be waiting a while.
:lol: you are a brave man!!
1972 Ford F-100
2002 Ford F-150
2002 Yamaha Raptor 660
Check out my NEW build thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 93#p641993
marz68
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by marz68 »

f250

Dr Casti

Post by Dr Casti »

marz68 wrote:f250

[ Image ]
Marz68: How you did to lower this nice F-250? Need to do the same on mine, Thanks!
(Already took off two leaf springs on the rear but the truck didn't got lowered enough)
1969 Ford F-250 Camper Special. 360 V8, C-4 auto.
marz68
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by marz68 »

Dr Casti wrote:
marz68 wrote:f250

[ Image ]
Marz68: How you did to lower this nice F-250? Need to do the same on mine, Thanks!
(Already took off two leaf springs on the rear but the truck didn't got lowered enough)
I didnt lower this one. I just found the pic online.
Dr Casti

Post by Dr Casti »

Ok guys...after you lowered your ride, do you have -must- change your shocks absorbers, or can you keep the old ones?
If you must change them, what brand do you recommend and where to buy them?

I'm asking this because i'm lowering my 69 F-250 and i don't know if i'm going to need drop shocks.
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

Dr Casti wrote:Ok guys...after you lowered your ride, do you have -must- change your shocks absorbers, or can you keep the old ones?
If you must change them, what brand do you recommend and where to buy them?

I'm asking this because i'm lowering my 69 F-250 and i don't know if i'm going to need drop shocks.
It depends on what method you use to lower your truck. As far as I know there is no listing for drop beams for a 3/4 ton truck. I used drop beams in the front of my F100 and the shock mounting and travel does not change so the stock length shocks are retained.
In the rear of my truck, I relocated the axle to above the leaf springs. Shorter shocks and a c-notch were required. I consulted and chose KYB for my rear shocks.
ezernut9mm
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ezernut9mm »

i am not certain, but i think the f100 and f250 beams are the same. maybe someone can confirm or refute this, but i think they are. on the 250 the frames are thicker and the springs are stouter. i think that's it besides bigger drums and floater rear axles.
wanting to buy a mercury tailgate!
"the man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it".- woodrow wilson

ImageImageImage
snake
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by snake »

Some 250s have bigger king pins. Airbagit.com does build dropped I-beams for F250s.
"It's better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you're not....." Van Zant
"If you can't say something good then there's nothing good to say...." Big and Rich
CNM67
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by CNM67 »

Question for all those guys who know a little more about this subject then I do. I'm getting a 68 short bed frame and bed to put my 67 cab and front clip on and its lowered. It has a leaf or two removed in the rear and the front coils are cut. is the front coils being cut a bad thing? I like the look of the truck but I don't want to have to put the truck back to stock height but I will if I have to.
The iron never lies and 200 pounds is always 200 pounds
elgemcdlf
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by elgemcdlf »

It is never a good idea to "lower" a vehicle by weakening the suspension. If I were in your shoes I would choose 1 of 2 paths. Either a complete suspension swap or stock springs with dropped beams & the flipped hanger on the back. With what you currently have you have limited travel in the suspension which will most likely cause you problems with things like the suspension bottoming out. This will lead to broken/bent parts.
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

Cut coils will stiffen the suspension, create camber issues and decrease suspension travel.
Dr Casti

Post by Dr Casti »

First of all what to thank you all of you for your replies, specially Bobby.

This is what i did so far on my 68 F-250 CS:
- took off two leaf springs on the rear
- flip out the front bracket on the rear springs.
Now i got between 4 and 5 inches lower. Probably need to compensate for pinion angle, but need to finish lowering the front.
Probably i'm gonna need some drop shocks, or relocate the upper base for the shock absorbers...don't know yet.

For the front suspension, i'm gonna cut one or one and half rounds on each front spring and see what happens.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RCF100

Post by RCF100 »

I can tell you what happens if you cut the front coils you will have bad negative camber. I wanted to see what happens and I dont like it I got drop shocks all around and djm rear shackles kit it doesnt ride horrible but It could ride better plus I am sure it will eat tires. Some people go dream beams but after reading on crown vic swaps I just got me a IFS and going to start my swap. You get better rotors better brakes and it will be lowered with full suspension travel cant lose. I got me some 250 springs thinking that if i cut them that it would hold the truck better it doesnt bottom out but I will tell you cutting the coils will put the camber to negative I hate the look of the wheels tilted in like that. I say either go dream beams if you want to stay with 15 in rims or go crown vic swap if you want to upgrade your front suspension.
72 F100 XLT ranger 390