1969 F250 4x4 Highboy 7/9 rubicon

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

panski

Re: 1969 F250 4x4 Highboy 12/4 Photo shoot!

Post by panski »

Wow! Well that's a beasty TRUCK..very well done Ryan :thup: Love the new wheels :clap:
'70 Ford F-100 (Project 95%)
'55 Ford F-100 (Project 50%)
'62 Chevy Impala (Project 0%)
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

CrypticRacer13 wrote:Did you pick those tires up from that guy in reno?
Nopes, that guy doesn't answer his phone, So I called another guy from the reno craigslist section. Turns out he is actually in Placerville just down the freeway a bit. He goes to 100 dollar man in so-cal and brings up 60 tires with his cummins/flatbed, and sells them for $500 a set.
Pretty good deal considering it's $550 to have trail worthy fab ship us a set, and i was not impressed with TWF's tires they sent me.

If you call the placerville guy up he'll tell you how many tires he has... if he just did a run and has 60 tires you get 60 tires to pick the best tires. I picked out of 15. still good tires but would be sweet to pick out of 60.
papabug71 wrote:Ryan, love the slots & the 1/4 wave.

Keep up the good work. :thup:
Thanks!
panski wrote:Wow! Well that's a beasty TRUCK..very well done Ryan :thup: Love the new wheels :clap:
Thanks!

I love the slot mags too, if only i could mount them! soon lol
-Ryan
FoPAR
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by FoPAR »

Very nice truck, I really like the wheels :thup:
"FoPar" because I love Fords and Mopars so just call me FoPar... :D
67mann
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 67mann »

1970FordTK wrote:Don't sweat it Ryan, I have the same set up on my tool box hooked to a Galaxy 98hp thats been "tweeked" just a little.
The redneck party line phone has come in handy for years, espicaly off roading. Next to a wench, its almost required equipment. 8)

:hj: I can see were that would be useful :doh: :P :lol:
I've had enough and I'm not alone
http://s267.photobucket.com/albums/ii304/67mann/
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

And next to a wench being almost required equipment, I could see a winch being a necessity as well
:D

I was suppose to have a winch on the truck by this weekend (if i get stuck in snow it's up to a jeep to pull me out), instead I bought a shovel. lol

New front crossmember/receiver and winch setup is soon to come
-Ryan
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

As if the Cummins didn't throw me back into the seat hard enough as-is, I picked up this little spring. $30 little spring... but I've heard good things about this guy.
It increases the RPM range of the Cummins, and apparently is quite noticeable. Throwing it in the pump tomorrow after I finish up all the new steering. Which I shall discuss tomorrow.

I need to get a video of the truck launching some time. It scoots pretty damn good lol
-Ryan
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

The 366 wakes up old VE's a bit.

Just a thought on the winch thing- Used find the time to put together wheeling trips and for a long time none of us had winches. We all welded our rear ends and found a chain wrapped around a rear tire would pull you out of anything as long as you could pull pretty much straight on. Worked great with boggers since they have no tread right down the middle. The M715 Jeep things had wheel winches on them like that, just a drum that fit on the rear hub.

Just something to think about. You might whip up something like that with parts you have sitting around. I'd make it a snug fit over a rear hub and use 2 or 4 of the rear axleshaft bolts to hold the drum on.
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

That's funny, I was actually thinking about this as well. Wrapping the strap around the tire and simply dropping it in gear. I'm open diff though, and don't want to weld it up since it's a daily driver.
I bought a shovel and my buddies have winch's, so should be able to get out of most situations
-Ryan
Pipes71
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Pipes71 »

wow go away for a couple of years and look what happen.. trucks look great ryan!
Tony
bumpless but still diggin them....
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

Woah, who's this pipes guy!?!?!?!
Good to see you checking back here!

-Ryan
68sportcustom

Post by 68sportcustom »

I probably spaced the post where you talked about the current wheel situation but I looked back again and I can't figure it out. I saw some thing about tires not holding the bead. Were the slot mags incompatible with the military tires? Those SCS(?) steelies look awesome though. I'm curious because I was thinking about the running some slot mags on my 68/76 highboy.

Again, if I missed a post or posts explaining your selection process on rims just tell me to pull my head out.

Keep up the good work on your bumps!
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

68sportcustom wrote:I probably spaced the post where you talked about the current wheel situation but I looked back again and I can't figure it out. I saw some thing about tires not holding the bead. Were the slot mags incompatible with the military tires? Those SCS(?) steelies look awesome though. I'm curious because I was thinking about the running some slot mags on my 68/76 highboy.

Again, if I missed a post or posts explaining your selection process on rims just tell me to pull my head out.

Keep up the good work on your bumps!
lol
No i'm just trying to confuse you.

There was an issue with the lug nuts getting to me so i could put my wheels on, and we had been planning a wheeling trip on saturday for months. So I swapped out my wheels for my buddy's wheels (these military tires/steelies are off my buddies highboy) so the trip could go on as planned. Long story short a buddy bailed and trip was cancelled.

my slot mag/tires are sitting in the garage. The wheel with the slot mag that got welded back up is still leaking air... it's not holding pressure. I think the tire is bad. The other 3 are doing great.
Just can't win.

I've decided I'm going to mount my tires on a set of 8" wide steelies. I like narrow tires, and the strength of a steelie. Then I'm going to add color matched (red) beadlock rings enabling me to air down and not blow a bead.
I will run the slot mags for a while though, until I have money/time to put beadlocks on a steel wheel set.
-Ryan
KRob

Post by KRob »

Hey Ryan i think were all waiting on an update and more pictures. :D

I know your still probably driving smashed to the floor but do you have any idea what mileage your getting?

Thanks...enjoy your truck man....im jealous.
71 F250 4x4, 4BT Cummins Mostly Done...Project Thread http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=65450
(4BT, big block ZF5, 78 NP205, 78 Dana 44 Front axle, 4.10, 265/75/16, power steering, power brakes)
01 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins...turned up a little.
67bartcat

Post by 67bartcat »

:yt: I'm Waiting for Pictures Of the new Motor and Maybe The Exhaust. As Always Great Work.
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

Okay, a much needed update is finally here. Been real busy! Getting the most out of my break off school!!

Nope, still no MPG calculation, sorry! Wish i had one. I did fill the tank a couple days ago, and thought what a perfect time to calculate my mileage. But.... no odometer. Hmm
Maybe next on the list is to get the speedo cable hooked up. And yeah, still very heavy on the pedal now that I just dropped in a new RPM governor spring :D :D

And slackin on the engine bay pictures, and now it's all super dirty/muddy lol I'll have to clean it up and get some pictures.

So, since the last time I've updated this thread, here's some new shhtuff.

Exhaust. Straight pipe 3", dumping behind passenger door. It is now the perfect volume inside the cab! It is pretty dang quite inside. Like.. really quite... All the sound deadening and good weatherstripping/seals really paid off. I can whisper to the passenger while foot on the gas.
Crack the drivers side window and it's still pretty quiet, get some nice air flow going....
Crack the passenger window and OH MAN, CUMMINSS STRAIGHT PIPE IS LOUD!

Oh, and of course, got the slot mags mounted up

^ That picture taken while the tire was quickly going from 40psi to sitting on rim.
I will blame it on her, but i may or may not have slashed it on the rock slider :(

and a super lame poser shot.... The truck idled right over the rocks like it was nothing until I hit the last ledge, then it wanted to be in 4low, which i can't put it in without a t-case shifter, :( :( :(

10 minutes wheeling, 5 hours recovering my buddie's sami

Always have wanted a decent sound system, decided to just go ahead and pick up a sweet deal on a 10" JL audio woofer in sealed box enclosure for $40, and a nice 425 watt amp from a buddy for $40. Wiring kit.. $20. Total subwoofer setup cost- $100. Why not??!

Sounds GREAT!
I keep it turned real low, just enough to compliment the stereo nicely without being an attention whore. I love it. The stereo sounds naked without the subwoofer backing it up!

Trailer'd up

7,500 pound load. 13,500 total.
The truck sagged pretty bad but this trailer has ridiculous tongue weight. cummins towed it great. Driving at cruising casual-stroll speed like I do when I'm keeping my foot out of it, I could not feel the 7,500 pounds behind me.
Mashing the pedal and trying to get up and go with the 7,500, yeah, of course I could feel the load lol

-Ryan