1969 F250 4x4 Highboy 7/9 rubicon

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

BiggDogg
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: 1969 F250 4x4 Highboy 11/7 more stuffs

Post by BiggDogg »

1971fordsdad wrote:Just to be fair, it was me that screwed up trying to drill out the broken bolts in the head. The drill bit kept wanting to drill into the head and not the bolt. It was late and I was pretty PO'd. Mom is not happy about having Ryan commandeer her car for a week. We should have spent Sunday working on it but we had to go to San Jose to buy another Bronco for Ryan's brother. (it was one of those once-in-a-lifetime deals) At least all the broken bolts are in the ears where you can drill them all the way through, not the ones that go straight into the head.
And Ryan, I appreciate you not throwing me under the bus for this but I don't want people to think you did it.
Hey, nice to hear from you again too! Sounds like you guys got a lot of fun things going on around there. One question, has Ryan's mom ever rode in either of the trucks? :lol:
1970 F250 Camper Special
"Its no coincidence that man's best friend can't talk."
Joshpow
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: 1969 F250 4x4 Highboy 11/20 390 top end

Post by Joshpow »

Yeah hows 1971fordsmom feel about bumps!!?? Will we ever see that username!? We are getting a family deal here with 1971ford! I like it!
Josh

72 F-100 Ranger XLT SWB
71 F-100 Custom SWB
67 F-350 Dually Dump
02 F-250 Stroke
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2972100
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: 1969 F250 4x4 Highboy 11/20 390 top end

Post by 1971ford »

She sticks with her '04 toyota camry... she would never ever consider riding in the race truck, but I think she wouldn't mind riding in the highboy if she had to lol Since it is actually nice in there. Although the ride is pretty bumpy (well until the 14" coilovers up front next winter and 64" springs in the rear :evil: ).

-Got the doors pretty much completed... Sound deadened the door panels (moved sound deadening from door to door panel after picture was taken), painted the door panels, installed them along with arm rests and handles.
-Then I sound deadened the roof and installed the headliner, after cleaning up the headliner trim.
-Then I cut some carpet up for the kick panels, the drivers side is in but not that passenger side yet. Held in by the door sill plate and velcro from behind.
-Dad cut out some 871 stickers. Have to have race number stickers on the chase vehicles at the races and it looks cool so why not lol Need to cut out a little fordification sticker for the back window

Ignore the wiring mess I'm going to clean that up shortly, still wiring things

This week I'm picking up a 2.5 gallon 150 PSI air tank that will be mounted onboard the truck... Then immediately after I will be installing my air horns (can't live without them!), then later this winter I'll install an onboard compressor so i don't have to keep filling it up and will have onboard air for air tools, filling up tires, etc.
The tank (found pic on interwebz, just going to pick up at 4 wheel parts)
-Ryan
trukcrazy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: 1969 F250 4x4 Highboy 11/28 Interior work

Post by trukcrazy »

Ryan, you are just a madman with a madman for a dad. Great work you guys. :thup:
John, #424
1967 F250 crewcab x 2.
2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport Quadcab
2008 Challenger SRT8
ol_ blue

Post by ol_ blue »

that seat sure looks comfy :D . your new daily is way cooler than mine. i think i need to get a 4x4 bump. keep up the great work
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

Thanks guys!

And yes... the seat is amazing lol
It's a fun daily driver, just not as fun as driving the race truck was :evil:
Once I get the power steering on and a few other things done it will be pretty luxurious in there.

ohhhhhh and I measured the stroke on the "390" today. Until now I took the previous owners word that it was a 390. Now I KNOW it's a 390 8)
-Ryan
1971fordsdad

Post by 1971fordsdad »

As far as Ryan's mom is concerned, she is definitely one very tolerant woman. I came home from work the other night to find Ryan's new coilovers for his race truck. I got all happy and started digging through the bag of accessories like a little kid at Christmas time. I said something like "awesome, aren't they cool?" My wifes reply was "yes, but do they have to be in the family room?" Then there was the time that I came home to find that the boys had cleaned the garage. It looked awesome. But then I found Trevor's new front beams for his Bronco behind the couch, and yes, in the family room.
GSequoia
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by GSequoia »

1971fordsdad wrote:But then I found Trevor's new front beams for his Bronco behind the couch, and yes, in the family room.
Well it makes perfect sense that the beams should be in the family room if the majority of the family loves them, right?
:hd:
www.advlifestyle.com
1971 Camper Special (390 / C6 / D60)
1970 F250 High Boy (NP435 / Dana 24 / No engine, rusted to hell and back body, project to combine with above.)
1966 Rustang (289 / C4 Project stalled for ages)
1989 Jeep Cherokee (4.0 / Auto / D30 / D44 / 35's)
1996 Jeep Cherokee (4.0 / Auto / D30 / D35)
no_treble

Post by no_treble »

:lol:

Bless her heart. Sounds like she's a jewel.

It does sound like a great place to live if you're a gear head! :thup:
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

So far I have 2 2.5x16" coilover shocks and 2 2.5x15" smooth body shocks on my floor, 3 race seats, various emblems all over, and a mustang gas tank in my closet.
I don't see what's wrong with protecting the valuables lol

Anyways. Trucks' been down for a while. Lost those things called "brakes". Well the pedal just got really soft over a week of time and i had to pump it before every light. FIgured i better find the problem before It gets worse. Also, the right rear suddenly started locking up, and suddenly the truck pulled hard to the right when stopping.
So 3 big problems started occuring having to do with brakes.

SO. I said enough is enough.
-New brake pads
-new adjuster kits
-wire wheel'd backing plates and por-15'd them (that was probably the problem right there, dirty backing plates)
-new hard line up front because I can't stand a slightly rounded hard line fitting, new EARLS stainless braided brake lines (OH BOY they were expensive... and pretty :) ) Fronts are about 4" longer than original so when I swap the leaf springs for coilovers I'll be able to have some nice flex in the front and plenty of room to droop. Rear brake line is about 5-6" longer, only because it was either that or it be an inch shorter than original. I went with 5" extra, because the truck will have more travel than original.
-New hub seal on right rear (that is what caused the locking up)

Well, the bad news is I just dropped a few hundred dollars i didn't want to or expect to. The good news is 99% of my entire braking system is new.

-Ryan
67mann
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: 1969 F250 4x4 Highboy 12/8 brakes

Post by 67mann »

8) Great work on the truck(actually both trucks) Ryan :thup: Makes me really wanna get my truck done :D ,but time,money ...... :roll: :(
I've had enough and I'm not alone
http://s267.photobucket.com/albums/ii304/67mann/
GSequoia
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by GSequoia »

Did you replace or rebuild the wheel cylinders while in there?
www.advlifestyle.com
1971 Camper Special (390 / C6 / D60)
1970 F250 High Boy (NP435 / Dana 24 / No engine, rusted to hell and back body, project to combine with above.)
1966 Rustang (289 / C4 Project stalled for ages)
1989 Jeep Cherokee (4.0 / Auto / D30 / D44 / 35's)
1996 Jeep Cherokee (4.0 / Auto / D30 / D35)
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

GSequoia wrote:Did you replace or rebuild the wheel cylinders while in there?
all new wheel cylinders

Literally, the ONLY things that are not brand new in the entire braking system on the truck is the piece of hard line that goes from distribution block to rear of frame (all other hard lines are new), and the booster. Ok, and the brake pedal, just to be fair.
It has all new pads, wheel cylinders, adjuster kits, hardware kits, hard lines, braided lines, and a new master cylinder as of tomorrow.
I've spent $200+ on brakes so far not counting the master cylinder. $200 is biased as not making me cringe as much. Not to mention, everything in the front drums was new as i got it so i didn't have to buy those things.
67mann wrote:8) Great work on the truck(actually both trucks) Ryan :thup: Makes me really wanna get my truck done :D ,but time,money ...... :roll: :(
Thanks! :D
-Ryan
Tpdaniels

Post by Tpdaniels »

I have followed your progress over last several months and and have never seen such a determined young man. if we could get the rest of your generation to be more like you, that meaning not only use your brain but use your talents to do something besides watching TV and stop being afraid to go outside and discover that the world is not as bad at the networks make it look.
I bought my first highboy, a 69 in 1970 when I was 18 years old and can't even began to tell about all the "experiences" I had with it over the next 14 years. Only sold it in 84 when I got married and bought a new house, I should have kept the truck and the old house, but sometimes you have to learn life's lessons the hard way. Enough rambling on, I have one question for you, I have read this entire post (all 40 pages) trying to find out what the red seat came out of, you may have already said but I could not find it. I love the style and how it looks in your truck. I now have a 72 Highboy in the middle of restoration and would like to find a similar seat for it. Thanks for your post and have a great day.
I am of an age now that most of life's lessons were learned the hard way;
Life is hard, but it’s harder when you’re stupid.
Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction.
Never ask how stupid someone is 'cause they'll turn around and show you.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
If you had the choice “Looks or Brains” take the Brains, Looks will get you thru the first half, but Brains will last a lifetime.
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

Tpdaniels wrote:I have followed your progress over last several months and and have never seen such a determined young man. if we could get the rest of your generation to be more like you, that meaning not only use your brain but use your talents to do something besides watching TV and stop being afraid to go outside and discover that the world is not as bad at the networks make it look.
I bought my first highboy, a 69 in 1970 when I was 18 years old and can't even began to tell about all the "experiences" I had with it over the next 14 years. Only sold it in 84 when I got married and bought a new house, I should have kept the truck and the old house, but sometimes you have to learn life's lessons the hard way. Enough rambling on, I have one question for you, I have read this entire post (all 40 pages) trying to find out what the red seat came out of, you may have already said but I could not find it. I love the style and how it looks in your truck. I now have a 72 Highboy in the middle of restoration and would like to find a similar seat for it. Thanks for your post and have a great day.
Thanks, i appreciate it!!
It's all about video games/TV now adays... but for me, if there is daylight i can not stand watching TV, i just feel like I am pissing away time when i could be making the highboy better.
Hopefully I'll never get rid of my highboy, never ever!

The red seat has a bit of a story to it, here's the cliff notes.
-I happened to come across a '72 bump for $500 on craigslist and felt like posting it on fordification just in case anyone was interested. It looked like it had lots of potential and was very original, paint was just oxidized.
-"Convincor" (member here that lives in connecticut) saw the post and wanted the truck
-we made a little deal where my dad and I would get the truck running and on to one of those semi truck car haulers to be sihpped across the US and I got the seat out of it :D Really wanted that seat. So that's what we did and i put a super ugly green seat in there for him.

Anyways so i got the seat from another member on here basically. However I did do a little research on the seat a year or two ago. It is called a "kustom fit" (just double checked). Quick google search and i found the sit again
http://www.kustomfit.com/pickup_truck_seating.htm
They only show modern versions and there isn't even much of that shown. I'd try calling if you're really interested and maybe they can do something? Maybe worth a shot

On a side note. I got home from work tonight and found a brand new MC isntalled on my truck! Thanks dad! woo!
Last edited by 1971ford on Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Ryan