Explorer Special

General Discussion Topic Archives
Mytmos

Explorer Special

Post by Mytmos »

This may be on here somewhere and I just have not seen it yet, but how many Explorers where made. I have a friend at work who has a 1972 Explorer, but I rarely see any others.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

re: Explorer Special

Post by FORDification »

I don't think I've ever seen a breakdown into trim-level production levels, and I doubt Ford ever kept track of that anyway. I could give you body-style production numbers, but I think that's as close as you're going to find....but it's not going to answer your question.

The '71 and '72 Explorers are actually not that uncommon....at least more so than the '68-'69 versions, for example. On the earlier models you could order an Explorer but there was no badges or insignias anywhere on the truck specifying it as such. An exterior insignia wasn't incorporated until '72, so even if you saw an earlier Explorer, you'd never know it. However, some Explorers did have a glovebox emblem, but I've seen just as many which didn't, so that's not an accurate way of counting either.

In case you haven't seen this, take a look at the following link:

http://www.fordification.com/explorer.htm
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
Mytmos

Post by Mytmos »

Thanks I kind of thought Ford didn't track those numbers. Your site is great you have helped me alot. I used your info on delay wipers and gauges.
71-F-250SC-72-F-250C

Post by 71-F-250SC-72-F-250C »

The 69 parts truck I just got, is a explorer, it has the badge on the glove box, and on the seat, but then it has metal door panels which I thought was kind of weird.
71 f-250 Sport Custom-frame off in progress..again thank to irjetmachanic. :)
72 f-250 Custom
71 f-100 swb sport custom
03 mach1 mustang
cant forget my thing...haha 74 volkswagon thing.
[quote="ToughOldFord"]
Damn, 7 gallons per mile, obviously FE powered!
OLEYELLERTRUCK

Post by OLEYELLERTRUCK »

What does it have on the seat?
71-F-250SC-72-F-250C

Post by 71-F-250SC-72-F-250C »

Sorry, I haven't looked at this thread in a couple of days.. It has a little plastic emblem. I haven't paid much attention to it, but I assume it is part of the explorer package because none of the other trucks have that emblem on the seat. I will take a pic of it tomorrow.

Stephen
71 f-250 Sport Custom-frame off in progress..again thank to irjetmachanic. :)
72 f-250 Custom
71 f-100 swb sport custom
03 mach1 mustang
cant forget my thing...haha 74 volkswagon thing.
[quote="ToughOldFord"]
Damn, 7 gallons per mile, obviously FE powered!
oldhalftons

Post by oldhalftons »

my 69 is an explorer.

custom cab emblems on the cab, black vinyl top, explorer label on the glove box, the dash cluster says "ford" in the middle and the gauges are in little rectangle windows, cab lights, padded door panels, godawful orange plaid seat
power steering, horn ring steering wheel, t18, 3.50 gears, no AC, manual brakes. color is chrome yellow (chrome yellow sure looks like orange to me)
1969 F100 300/4spd power steering, manual brakes
Jondon

Post by Jondon »

I have a '71 Explorer with interior and exterior badges. Both look factory?

- John
When the going gets tough, switch to power tools.
OLEYELLERTRUCK

Post by OLEYELLERTRUCK »

Mine came with Explorer emblems on the bed sides, but not the glove box door. I parted a 70 that had the glovebox emblem and added it to mine. Color was Durango tan (yellow) with ginger interior.
Ozark Tim

Post by Ozark Tim »

I have your trucks cousin from Missouri. My daughter named it Clark, since it is an explorer and in Mo. with the Lewis & Clark thing and all.
Anyway mine is a 72, code X ( durango tan or lt. goldenrod yellow ) and ginger interior. Explorer badges on rear fenders, but not inside. Still has original bed rails offered with Explorer package, and it includes all three levels of the package. I will take a picture of it and post it for you to see.
OT
OLEYELLERTRUCK

Post by OLEYELLERTRUCK »

I recently found a set of bed rails,but sadly they turned out to be for a short bed! I must keep looking!
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

OLEYELLERTRUCK wrote:I recently found a set of bed rails,but sadly they turned out to be for a short bed! I must keep looking!
Hey, were they the original type? I'd be interested in those. Shoot me a PM if you have access to them.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

What about the "Thunderbird" wheelcovers, anyone still have those?
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
OLEYELLERTRUCK

Post by OLEYELLERTRUCK »

Keith, I still have them. They are the original style. They have a manufacturer name stamped on the bottom, but I forgot what it is, I will have to check. I will check for a part number too.