1969 F250 4x4 Highboy 7/9 rubicon

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

update,

beds are heavy!

my new friend! this thing is a BEAST! rips the dirt and paint right off of the under/bed and is unbeleivable on the chassis!
this is what i got done in 20 min. of grinding on the under bed. it looks alot better in person, because in the picturse there is loose dirt that the grinder spat around that makes it look like less progress
im going to have to have a shower after every time i use it :D

im going to be done with stripping/coating the chassis and underbed ALOT faster than i though! i was thinking a few months of stripping/por-15'ing, now im thinking a few weekends!

guys, i could use alot of :2cents: :2cents: :2cents: and some good :bs: :)
doesnt seem like im getting much feedback for all the work put into these updates :o (well this update didnt take long, but others take a hour usually of uploading pics/resizing/uploading onto internet and making the thread organized.
-Ryan
ford4x4fun
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by ford4x4fun »

Ryan,

I can't get your pics... Stupid military network, but I read all your posts man... Your hopping and popping on that thing. I can't hardly sit here in my chair, your post makes me want to go hit something with a hammer or attack it with a chunk of sand paper. Keep up the good work, and just so you know your hours of making this post, kept me intertained for attleas 45 minutes!!!!
CNR Radio Instructor
US ARMY Retired
1971 Ford F100 4x4 (390)
2015 Ford F250 Crew Cab 6.7l
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

email sent :thup:
-Ryan
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

haha hey Ryan,

Your progress makes me wish my crew wasn't 45 minutes away from here. oh well i'll have to pick it up and bring it home in a few months. needs a hood and some assembly. And a tranny and transfer case rebuild before i can drive it.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
mr1030

re: 69 F100 Ranger project-HUGE UPDATE:3/21 LOTS OF PICS!

Post by mr1030 »

You're doing great work and at a fast pace too. I'm sure its gonna be an awesome truck. I'm getting alot of ideas on how I'm going to work on mine, since I plan on stripping and using POR-15 as well. Seeing you work on yours gets me antsy cuz I cant work on mine at the moment. I still have to arrange to find some space to work on it for a period of time. No room at my house. Hoping my brother will let me appropriate some of his backyard this summer. Your posts give me alot to think about so keep them up. :)
Bob

1971 F250 Custom Camper Special, 360ci, Explorer Special Package
72stepside
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 72stepside »

Didn't I tell you that wire wheel was the ticket to quick cleaning !!!!!!!

Stay at it. You'll be done in no time.

When you start your POR-15 application, no matter how careful you think you are, use plastic wrap between the lid and can when you seal it back up. The paint will seal metal to metal. I thought I was careful and had to damage the lid to get it back off today!!!! Also, use gloves and a long sleeved shirt. Anything that is between you and the POR-15 means less scrubbing and 'wearing the paint off' !!!!
Chris
72 F100 Stepside w/ 78 300 CID
Hedman Headers
Disc Brakes
Power Steering with 3 STILL on the tree
Comfy Crown Vic Seats

71 F250 PS, PB, AC, Auto, 390
Loooong way to go on this one!

ImageImage
ImageImage
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

thanks guys,
72stepside, thanks for the tips :thup: i probably would of sealed the lid on if you hadnt of told me!
-Ryan
TheEskimo
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by TheEskimo »

That is looking great Ryan, I can't believe the progress you have made. It is so amazing to see how fast you are moving along with this.
-Jason
1972 F250 Camper Special 360ci
1973 F100 Custom 390ci
1985 Thinderbird 302ci (DD)
itsmy72f100

Post by itsmy72f100 »

Ryan you should just video the progress you move so fast through it mine will take years lol. No hotroding when your done and licsened. Thats what I dd in my first car a 74 nova I saved up for 8 years spent 15000 on it and three months later totaled it. I loved that car why do barriers have to be concrete? seriously keep going strong you might get a few more trucks done by the time u turn 16.
1972 F100 Ranger
1971 F100 Custom
1999 ford contour(what a great $400 car)
1982 Ford Minibus
ImageImageImage
kaptnkaos
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by kaptnkaos »

Dang boy your goin' ta town, it's really comin' along nice...

Wish I had half yer energy...
it wouldn't have taken me 4 months to do what I did on my '68 CS... :D

KaptnKA 8) S
Washington...The land where rust is like the family pet...Ya learn to live with it and clean up after its mess... KaptnKAOS

"Olde Skool" '68 Ford Bluebird short bus
"FRODO" '68 F-250 Camper Special project
aramil
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by aramil »

your progress makes me feel lazy... ive had my bump for a year and havnt even got all the algae scrapped off... i wish i could do some of the stuff youve done cuz your work inspires me... i just dont have the tools or funds to do anything with my project, its all dreams and wishes for me lol. good work ryan. dont worry about the time it takes to update, one day in the future when youve moved on to bigger and better projects you will be able to look at your thread and take a walk down memory lane.
72, f-100 ranger xlt, 360-c6, 2wd 84k miles.
77, ford f-150 custom 4x4, 400m-c6 SOLD

"the existence of flamethrowers is proof that someone, somewhere, sid to himself, "i want to set those people over there on fire, but i dont feel like walking over there to do it"
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

UPDATE:

what i did:
-bought respirator
-scraped
-scraped
-scraped (x10000)

so ive been having problems with wires flying out of my wire wheel excessively (i found many wires stickign out of my pants and walls of tarp shelter), so i figured it was because of making it slice through the undercoating on the underside of the bed. so ive been scraping for 3 hours. im almost done with scraping, then im going to use the grinder/wire wheel to strip the primer off.

safety first! :D
well this was when i was grinding, before i started scraping. i also had gloves, and earplugs.
this is what i started with today:
this is some progress:
i started on the wheel wells
this how much i have left to scrape before braking out the grinder again:
(the bottom of this pic is where the tailgate is for reference. i have about 5 square feet to scrape)

ran into a snag :cry:
found that a body support has been torched off, and it should really be there for body and toolbox support. now i have to find someone on here that can get me one. or actually!, were about to scrap a beaten/rusted bumpside bed at work! ill have this piece torched off :D
so this is what it looks like on the other side of the bed:
this is what it looks like on the toolbox side:

check this out, so i just bought this respirator (safety first :D ) and i did alot of scraping (using the air blower is what kicks all the stuff up) and then i took the filters out and blew the dirt out. put them back in and scraped alittle more and this is what they looked like before the first time i cleaned them, and what it looked like before cleaning them the second time. THAT would be in my lungs!! that makes me wonder what my lungs look like from all the previous grinding before i got this thing :eek:

what shall come....
...more scraping. then hopefully next weekend, i will have a fresh metal bed!
-Ryan
1971fordsdad

Post by 1971fordsdad »

Not only does this kid spend all his waking hours either working on his truck or on this website, He just brought home another report card with a 3.50 GPA in highschool.
BiggDogg
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: re: 69 F100 Ranger project-HUGE UPDATE:3/21 LOTS OF PICS

Post by BiggDogg »

1971ford'sdad wrote:Not only does this kid spend all his waking hours either working on his truck or on this website, He just brought home another report card with a 3.50 GPA in highschool.
Wow that's great! Says alot about where he comes from... nice work 1971ford'sdad, and nice work ryan! :thup:
1970 F250 Camper Special
"Its no coincidence that man's best friend can't talk."
72stepside
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: re: 69 F100 Ranger project-HUGE UPDATE:3/21 LOTS OF PICS

Post by 72stepside »

1971ford'sdad wrote:Not only does this kid spend all his waking hours either working on his truck or on this website, He just brought home another report card with a 3.50 GPA in highschool.
Hard to argue with that!!!!!
Chris
72 F100 Stepside w/ 78 300 CID
Hedman Headers
Disc Brakes
Power Steering with 3 STILL on the tree
Comfy Crown Vic Seats

71 F250 PS, PB, AC, Auto, 390
Loooong way to go on this one!

ImageImage
ImageImage