Turn signal and brake light problems

Electrical and Wiring Forum Archives
Bigfella

Turn signal and brake light problems

Post by Bigfella »

Ok guys,
I need some assistance. I have a '72, 2 wheel drive, 4 speed short wide. My turn signal lights aren't right. My left signal was staying on no matter where I have the signal lever and nothing clicks or comes on outside the truck. I put a new (junkyard) signal switch in and it did the same thing. Me and a buddy tried tracing wires to see if it's hooked up right because the switch has a few different colored wires. (different year, but same looking switch) Now it blinks left inside and right outside. (when left is selected inside) We tried swapping wires for an hour or two and nothing. Is there a book or a better way to trace what wires go where ?? I swapped out the blinker solenoid(round plug under the dash) and still nothing. :?
Also, both brake lights just quit working one day. I've checked the wires going to the back, fuse box, inline fuses, everything.
PS the emergency flashers don't work but all the running lights work fine, brakes and otherwise
PLEASE HELP.
I just got out of the military and I want to drive my truck without fear of getting pulled over.
Thanx,
Signed,
Turning Without Signaling
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

re: Turn signal and brake light problems

Post by FORDification »

Well, I've got wiring diagrams posted here on the site for '67s, which should be very very close to your '72. Start with the following and see if this helps.

http://www.fordification.com/images/sch ... ghts02.jpg
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
dcbullet
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by dcbullet »

I just went through this myself so hopefully I can help.

I would recommend starting closest to the switches and working back to the back of the truck. For the brake lights, do you have power coming off the brake lights switch (down by your brake pedal) when you depress the pedal? If yes, the brake light problem is further back, if no, then your switch is bad.

The brakes lights go through the turn signal so your problems are most likely related. Since you've replaced the turn signal switch and seem to be having problems with which wire go where, I've "liberated" this from an article on another site. If Keith is no OK with that, he can edit my post, I have no problem with that:
There are 7 wires to the turn signal switch, here is a description of each:

* Blue/yellow stripe: horn.
* Blue: +12V power from turn flasher for turn signals
* Black/red stripe: +12V power from stop lamp switch for stop lamps
* Green: Rear right turn/stop lamp
* White/Blue stripe: Front right turn lamp
* Yellow/black stripe: Rear left turn/stop lamp
* Green/white stripe: Front left turn lamp

Here's how it works:

* When the turn signal is off, both rear stop/turn lamps are connected to the stop lamp switch. To test with multimeter, check for continuity between the red/black wire and the yellow/black and the red/black and the green wire. Lack of continuity indicates a bad switch. To check with a test light, clip the ground wire onto one. Put the probe end into the yellow//black wire slot of the connector (either side.) Press down on the brake, if the light illuminates that side works. Next do the green wire the same way.
* When you turn left, the connection on the left rear is broken with the stop lamp, and it is connected to the turn flasher, along with the front left turn lamp. Turn the lever to indicate a left turn. Now check for continuity between the blue wire and the yellow/black wire and the blue wire and green/white wire. Lack of continuity indicates a bad switch. There should still be continuity between the red/black and the green wire. To test with a test light, turn on the turn signals (and turn the key on so they work) and indicate a left turn. When you insert the probe into the yellow/black wire slot of the connector or green/white wire slot the test light should flash. Put it in the green wire slot and press the stop pedal, it should light.
* When you turn right, the connection on the right rear is broken with the stop lamp, and it is connected to the turn flasher, along with the front right turn lamp. Turn the lever to indicate a right turn. Now check for continuity between the blue wire and the white/blue wire and the blue wire and green wire. Lack of continuity indicates a bad switch. There should still be continuity between the red/black and the yellow/black wire. To test with a test light, turn on the turn signals (and turn the key on so they work) and indicate a right turn. When you insert the probe into the white/blue wire slot of the connector or green wire slot the test light should flash. Put it in the yellow/black wire slot and press the stop pedal, it should light.
If you are using a swith from a different year truck, there may be color changes in wires, but this should help alot.

Finally, you can test the power coming out from under the dash in a more handy location under the hood. There is a connector there that has the 4 wires that head to the back of the truck. If you disconnect it, you can test the 4 wires while standing up.

Hopefully that will get you started, please feel free to ask more if I didn't help out or wasn't clear.
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

I would pull the tail light assembly out of the truck and THOROUGHLY clean it before you start. Rust and corrosion back there can cause no end of grief. If you don't have a good ground you wioll not get reliable lights.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
crozetiga

Post by crozetiga »

I had a similar problem and one of many problems I had was that there was a bird's nest of wires in the rear of the truck connecting multiple trailor hitch harnesses. I ended up cutting them all out and running the original wires. That worked well for me. Hope that helps

josh
Bigfella

Post by Bigfella »

Thanx for all the info. I've already looked @ all wires going to the back. They're good.
But the description of what wire does what and goes where will help me out a lot. Thanx dcbullet.
I'll keep you guys posted.
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

The newer/later switches do interchange but a couple wires need switched around in the plugs. I went through the same thing on an old wrecker once and spent a couple days getting it all straightened out. I though keith had that info somewhere in the column swap or power steering swap info.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.