New starter with on-starter relay

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

widegauge

New starter with on-starter relay

Post by widegauge »

I just got a starter for my 460 and it has a on-starter relay and I havent every messed with one, does anyone know what wires goes where on one of these??
splavin90

re: New starter with on-starter relay

Post by splavin90 »

one heavy gauge 12V+ wire goes to it streight from battery

and

one S wire (a low amp 12V+ wire that goes hot when you want to crank the engine)
69 F100 81' 302 / 73' fmx

I'd rather go hunting with Dick Cheney than go driving with Kennedy
Clarko
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Clarko »

The safest way I use is wire the large terminal as you would normally and then a jumper wire from that post to the small terminal.

The way the factory does it is constant power to the large terminal on the starter and then a small wire from the controlled side of the fender relay/solenoid to the small terminal on the starter. I always seem to drop a wrench on that terminal and short the system out when it's wired this way.
Brian
1969 F-250 Ranger Camper Special 465FE/C6 (waiting on AOD)
1988 Bronco 351W/AOD
1994 Bronco 351W/E4OD
widegauge

re: New starter with on-starter relay

Post by widegauge »

so just run a 12v cable from the aft post on the finder relay to the main post on the starter relay, then a jumper wire from the main post on the starter to the smaller post? the reason I am asking is becouse there seems to be a "jumper" plate already installed on the starter. and the little post has a "R" beside it. Is that the one that you are talking about?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fake Name

Post by Fake Name »

Looks like you're already done. But, just to be sure, I'd get my jumper cables and bench-test it.

fn
1970 F250
2011 KTM 990 ADV
2003 KTM 525EXC
Clarko
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: re: New starter with on-starter relay

Post by Clarko »

widegauge wrote:so just run a 12v cable from the aft post on the finder relay to the main post on the starter relay, then a jumper wire from the main post on the starter to the smaller post? the reason I am asking is becouse there seems to be a "jumper" plate already installed on the starter. and the little post has a "R" beside it. Is that the one that you are talking about?
That's what I do, personally. I don't feel safe with that big constant power down there. I'm not sure which small post is the activate wire though.
Brian
1969 F-250 Ranger Camper Special 465FE/C6 (waiting on AOD)
1988 Bronco 351W/AOD
1994 Bronco 351W/E4OD
Dropped 68

Post by Dropped 68 »

Ok, as a former parts guy and the owner of many a 460. Here's the low down as I know it. the original (older model starters) didn't have the extra solenoid mounted on the starter. However It seems that there may be a shortage of the older style cores because I've seen both types under the same part number. All you need to do is run the positive lead from the solenoid down to that large lug on the starter. That little silver piece that's bolted on on to the solenoid is just a jumper they supply to trigger the solenoid on the starter. So the way it is set up, you will have two solenoids. Won't hurt anything. In theory, you could run constant power to the heavy lug on the starter, remove the small jumper bar, and hook up your solenoid remote wire (from the s terminal) and run it that way. but there's no reason for that. Anyhow my 2 cents.