Powerloss at startup???

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Powerloss at startup???

Post by rjewkes »

Ok the bird is having problems, Lately it is losing all power even straight from the battery. The starter, Alternator and all wires involved with it check out. The battery checks out as well. But i lose permanant power to the radio memmoryt and all the interior stuf lights and all shut off at kick over.

I'm thinking it may be the selniod shortung but it still gets power to the starer and ignition and fires over.

Any thoughts?
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
72hiboy4x4
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic
Location: As far away as I can be from Wa state, without crossing the Mississippi

re: Powerloss at startup???

Post by 72hiboy4x4 »

Bad connection at the battery. It may look good, but there is corrosion under the covering on the cables. everything works until you touch the key to start it, right? then it all shuts off?
Clean the battery connections and replace the cables, and you should be in working order again.
In life many men take the path of righteousness, some take the path many others follow (G.M. owners, for example), some take a more arduous path, some a simpler path. I, sir, took the PSYCO-PATH!!
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

or possibly a loose or worn ignition switch maybe
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

ok should have mentioned I replaced the wires the first day this started and it did get a little better. Now it only happens when the car has been parked for 2+ hours.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

one the newer for dtrucks the battery cable from ther soliniod to the starter becomes bad and has to be replacedbecause it looses connection and won't start at all. that is just something to think about even though it may not apply to your situation.
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

yeah i'm down to the last two possabilities, The Volt Reg or the selenoid i'll try the selenoid first then if it persists the volt reg.

after that if it still has a problem i'll save the engine tranny combo and scrap the bird.

But its gotta be one or even both of the two becuase it'll crank it over and it'll fire but no interior or perm anant power until you disengage the starter.
fuelly.com
Wes
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Wes »

what year is this bird ? T-bird ? if its 80 up I would def check out the ign switch. they start to come apart after 6 or so years, even the new improved recall replacment switch. numerous car fires have been traced back to the switch Ford replaced millions of them 2 or 3 times. Got so bad they were on national back order for weeks. this applies to most all Fords 80 up except the mazda half breeds they have diff switch troubles.
Wes

http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10402
67 F250 High boy
69 Bronco

If you can't see fit to stand behind Our Troops...Please stand in front of them :)
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

Thanks Guys. I replaced The selenoid apparently it was grounding out inside or atleast the post where it all ties in was.

So now it does everything better and it only seems to lose the power now when you crank for longer than 15 seconds.

It's like it drains the whole battery down, Then you finaly get it started and everythings good again.

So 'im going to do a tune up as it seems to be flooding now. And I'll check into that switch.

Wonder if i can get a whole ignition and lock set.
fuelly.com