72 Ford is Dead can anyone help???????

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

wwjd63

72 Ford is Dead can anyone help???????

Post by wwjd63 »

Hi everyone

Was wondering if anyone out there has any suggetions as to what happened. Here is the run down; lately my truck has been acting funny :? sometimes it starts on the first turn and sometimes all it does is just cranks :( . But when it does start is runs great, I just had the motor rebuilt a few months ago. The only things that have not been replaced is the battery, alternator, and a couple of solenoids. But other than that everything was working fine. I just replaced the fuel pump yesterday, thought it wasn't getting any fuel. I fired up my truck on the first turn was running great then my radio got fuzzy and as soon as I put it into reverse she died, I mean she died :hmm: no power, no nothing! Doesn't even click when you turn the key, no headlights nothing works. :cry: If anyone out there has any suggestions as to what might be going on please help, I miss my girl already!

Thanks
Nick
mrsnicks
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

re: 72 Ford is Dead can anyone help???????

Post by mrsnicks »

You gotta do some troubleshooting for us...

1. Is the batter dead?
2. Can you jump it?
3. Is the alternator putting out juice?
4. Are the terminals/cables on the battery corroded?

Could be a voltage regulator.. battery... or alternator or bad ground.. You gotta do a little more digging before we can determine what it is.

Patrick
Chevrolet
Can Hear Every Valve Rattle on Long Extended Trips

1969 F100 4X4 Highboy 390 3sp
1969 F100 SWB 2wd Auto 351w
1972 F100 Ranger XLT 302 Auto

http://mrsnicks.blogspot.com
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10336
69rangerman
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 69rangerman »

If she jumps off and runs, but battery won't hold a charge the alternator could be shot.

Also, maybe ignition switch?
"O say, does that star spangled banner yet wave? Oer the land of the free and the home of the brave?" It does at my house! God bless America!
splavin90

Re: re: 72 Ford is Dead can anyone help???????

Post by splavin90 »

69rangerman wrote:If she jumps off and runs, but battery won't hold a charge the alternator could be shot.

Also, maybe ignition switch?
or he could have a bad battery.
69 F100 81' 302 / 73' fmx

I'd rather go hunting with Dick Cheney than go driving with Kennedy
montana_hiboy

Post by montana_hiboy »

I second kid, a simple $15 volt/ohmeter will help isolate your problem and get you on your way, i'm not an expert by no means but you might wanna focus on your voltage regulator.........good luck!
wt4speed#2
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by wt4speed#2 »

Check ground strap from motor to chasis as well .Bad connection there cause all kind of symptoms

Tony B
Tony B.Image
DFW Area
"Someday...
I hope you to get the chance,
to live like you are dying"
Member#'s 236 & 403
Úlf the Comedy Sidekick
'69 F-100 "Stepper"(currently in a bigillion pieces )
wt's ride
thebucket
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

if the battery were dead and the alt quit then it would just die and no nothing after that. almost sounds like switch to me though.
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

Sounds like a bad ground to me.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
wwjd63

Post by wwjd63 »

Thanks for all the input guys; I just went and had the battery and alternator tested and the battery tested good, but the alternator failed. So I purchased a new alternator and installed it but nothing has changed :? It's still the same, nothing works, my headlights will not turn on not the radio either. Nothing electrical works. So could this be a short in my wiring somewhere?? Or would the voltage regulator do the same?

Thanks alot,
Nick
mrsnicks
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by mrsnicks »

The voltage regulator is what directs the charge from the alternator to the battery. If the battery is good and the alternator is putting out a charge then my guess is that the voltage regulator is bad, and not allowing the charge to get to the battery.

Should be about a 10.00 part at any autostore... it sits on the passenger side of the radiator support.. Nice shiny box. (at least when it's new).

Patrick
Chevrolet
Can Hear Every Valve Rattle on Long Extended Trips

1969 F100 4X4 Highboy 390 3sp
1969 F100 SWB 2wd Auto 351w
1972 F100 Ranger XLT 302 Auto

http://mrsnicks.blogspot.com
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10336
wwjd63

Post by wwjd63 »

Thanks for the input Patrick, I was thinking it might be that. Only thing is my truck has two voltage regulators that are connected to eachother. One is coming from the starter and the other from the alternator. Should these both be changed?

Thanks
Nick
Nickabocker

Post by Nickabocker »

check your ground/battery cables <check hook up spots and look fro damae> you may also have to replace the voltae reulator (sounds like your alternator aint etting jucie) i just replace te voltae reulator in my truck it took all of 10 mins and a few bolts and it was done. Also whats the amp of the alternator...and how much power does your battery ive out?

Nick
Mohillbilly

Post by Mohillbilly »

The "regulator" going to the starter is actually your starter solenoid. From your description, it sounds like the ground cable from the negative battery post to the engine has a bad connection. Make sure it's clean and tight. That could cause all your symptoms, including no headlights. Definitely get the digital meter. It will be the best money you ever spend on your truck. Once you get your meter, check that you have at least 12 volts, measuring from the negative post to the end of the cable going to the solenoid.
70 Custom LWB, 302-2V, 3 on tree
wwjd63

Post by wwjd63 »

I wanted to thank everyone for their quick replies and inputs. I did change the two voltage regulators/solenoids and that seems to have done the trick :D Hopefully that's all it was and I will definately be getting one of those voltage meters asap. You guys were life savers thanks again for all your help.

Thanks
Nick