Pertronix Ignitor

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

AustinTom

Pertronix Ignitor

Post by AustinTom »

I'm thinkin about putting one of these in my truck. Is it that much better that the points? or should I get a whole electronic ignition distributor?
69 F-100 lwb 240 Np435
95 F-150 lwb 4x4

http://s110.photobucket.com/albums/n85/ ... type=local
theskytoucher
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: Pertronix Ignitor

Post by theskytoucher »

i have been very happy with my pertronix. It was easy to install and i have had it for 10 months and never even had to think about ajusting it like you would with points. :2cents:
-Troy-

1996 Dodge ram 1500 4x4
1976 Ford F-150 4x4

Quando Omni Flunkus Mortadi
When all else Fails Play Dead
heep70
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by heep70 »

Either/or, depends on what the wallet has to say.

I run the Petronix II and really like it. I also ran the lower series. never had a problem.
Greg

1971 F250 "Highboy". SOLD to "Highboy_Firefighter_71"
2000 Subaru Outback limited.
2000 F250 4X4 PSD SuperDuty Crew.
2010 Polaris 800RMK Dragon 155"
2013 Polaris Pro 800 RMK 163"
1980 Built Toyota "Trail Rig".
My last 1971 "Highboy" pics
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ToughOldFord »

I have Protonix and I like it fine. I don't see any performance improvement, but it does do away with ever messing with points again.
Of course my truck's not a hot rod by a long shot so maybe the performance gains are seen on the track. :drive:
Old-Fart-Al

Re: Pertronix Ignitor

Post by Old-Fart-Al »

AustinTom wrote:I'm thinkin about putting one of these in my truck. Is it that much better that the points? or should I get a whole electronic ignition distributor?
Austin Tom
I think you'ld be thrilled with one. I've used numerous conversions and had excellent results with all of them. Heep 70s got the Pertronix II and I have no personal experiance with the IIs but wouldn't hesitate a second to utilize one on my next set up. Sounds a bunch better than the standard kit (didn't know they offered the IIs)! If you want a simple electronic ignition coversion, go with the standard kit, but for the addition of a few bucks you could have what appears to be an even better set up! Summit also has what I call cheep HO coils (25% hotter) for as little as 15 or 16 bucks that would also be a good idea in conjunction with the conversion. You just swap em out. As to whether or not to get the electronic ignition distributor, check for bearing slop in your orig distributor shaft, replace if bad with either OEM and conversion or complete electronic distributor. Definatly get one with a vacume advance if you have to replace it unless your planning on utilizing it exclusivly on a race vehicle. Units without the vacume advance are not condusive to maximizing fuel economy.

Definatly a do, you'll be glad you did!

Al
Last edited by Old-Fart-Al on Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
AustinTom

Post by AustinTom »

Excellent. I think I'll be pickin one up soon then. I'm not really lookin for a performance increase just a little more reliability.
69 F-100 lwb 240 Np435
95 F-150 lwb 4x4

http://s110.photobucket.com/albums/n85/ ... type=local
Old-Fart-Al

Post by Old-Fart-Al »

Thats the wonderful thing about them, do the swap and thats it. NO MORE SCREWING AROUND WITH POINTS!. If you wanted to maximize the rest of the distributor and fine tune the advance aspects, you'ld be supprised at the differences that can be had. Its my personal opinion that more power and efficiency is lost from failure to fine tune distributors than anything else. We'll save that for another day. Let us know how it turns out.

PS; Other conversions are available, but I've only used the Pertronix and the Mallory. The one I prefer between the two is the Pertronix since it is magneticly triggered whereas the Mallory is light triggered and replacement parts are pricy if you can find them at all!

Al
Tim P.
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Tim P. »

Im going on 5 yrs on my standard one with an accel supercoil the II has a chip that can control the dwell retard it whan nesassary as I understand it pay the few extra $$ and get the II run a hot coil for a hotter spark.
Ford Is The Mountain That The Rock fell Off Of.

72 F-250 Camper Special 390 Stroker 419 CID 420 HP Natural Asp 200 HP NOS C-6 Dana 60 4.10
96 F-150 XLT 4X4 5.8 Heavy Duty 4EOD
67highboy

Post by 67highboy »

Pentronics is a great product, save some cash and go for it. 8)
People who are willing to give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty or safety...

Ben Franklin 1775