Questions about 4WDs and related topics

Moderators: FORDification, Doug Comer

sideoilerfe
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: Body swap to a 4x4

Post by sideoilerfe »

averagef250 wrote:
That's crazy talk. I should be in jail for life if a bump body swap is illegal. A VIN is a VIN, it's a stamped plate, a number, that's it.
I never said the body swap is illegal. Swapping VIN plates IS illegal. If DMV doesn't know then no harm done. I swapped a door once before I new better and got pulled over and the first thing this cop did was check the VIN. I explained all of the details as my old door was bad and even showed him the recipt from the junkyard and he didn't care. ..wrote me a $500 ticket. I had to get an attorney (state assigned one) and get a vehicle inspection. Then go to DMV and get a state assigned VIN, send my old title to Salem and then go back to court just to have it thrown out. The lawyer said that they could've seized the vehicle at the time of the ticket.
I agree with keeping my mouth shut at the DMV. What they don't know doesn't hurt anybody. My point is that it can happen and just trying to save someone the same trouble that I had.
Side oiler FE, see if you can catch me!!!

1970 F250 4x4 390/4spd
1968 F250 4X2 360/C6/No Rust!
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

on lat emodel cars tha have the vin sticker ont he door you have to get a inspection by the highway patrol to verify that you bought the new door from soemone with a receipt and then they give you a new vin to put on the door. that was the best car we ever had. i should have never sold it.
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

The highboy is suppose to be in my hands in 4.5 hours, i will then grab the 69 and tow it to the shop as well and begin the body swap immidiately. I'm unbolting the 69's body already.

Last thing for now, How do you setup a clutch pedal in my 69's body that had an auto? The cab is ready for a clutch right??

Edit: Just thought of another thing. Gas tanks. We'll i have already covered up the in-cab gas tank hole, did hte body work and painted over it. I won't be running a in-cab tank. Is that all the highboys came with, an incab tank? Any chance the highboy im getting has saddle tanks? If it does then hopefully i can just run a drivers side saddle tank to my gas door i welded in to my body. This could get ugly, i might have to go find a saddle tank

Another idea. The mustang II tanks swap into highboys right? I don't see why they wouldnt apposed to a 2wd. I could just run a mustang tank in the very back of the frame like a few have done on here. But then I'll only have what, 15 gallons? This is a tow truck... I'm looking for as many gallons as i can get
-Ryan
BiggDogg
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by BiggDogg »

What were your original plans for your gas tank? Was it just the saddles? You could always do like some other members (I think even Keith was working on it), the original gas tank in the bed right behind the cab? You would lose a little bed space, but probably not too much. Welding up a cage to protect it should be a piece of cake for you :D
1970 F250 Camper Special
"Its no coincidence that man's best friend can't talk."
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

swapping the clutch pedal is no big deal. you just unbolt one and bolt the other on it. bracket and all is probably the better way to do it. because of the big spring on the clutch pedal bracket.

tha gas tanks were all in cab for the 4wd trucks.
olivof

Post by olivof »

1971ford wrote:The highboy is suppose to be in my hands in 4.5 hours, i will then grab the 69 and tow it to the shop as well and begin the body swap immidiately. I'm unbolting the 69's body already.

Last thing for now, How do you setup a clutch pedal in my 69's body that had an auto? The cab is ready for a clutch right??

Edit: Just thought of another thing. Gas tanks. We'll i have already covered up the in-cab gas tank hole, did hte body work and painted over it. I won't be running a in-cab tank. Is that all the highboys came with, an incab tank? Any chance the highboy im getting has saddle tanks? If it does then hopefully i can just run a drivers side saddle tank to my gas door i welded in to my body. This could get ugly, i might have to go find a saddle tank

Another idea. The mustang II tanks swap into highboys right? I don't see why they wouldnt apposed to a 2wd. I could just run a mustang tank in the very back of the frame like a few have done on here. But then I'll only have what, 15 gallons? This is a tow truck... I'm looking for as many gallons as i can get
A 1970 Mustang gas tank is 22 gallon, Here is how it can be done..
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

I just wanted to chime in and say that I love my in cab tank. I didn't mind it when my truck was still gasoline powered, even when I used to smoke. I got piece of mind knowing that no matter what happened to the truck it would have to be hit hard enough to kill me before that tank ever ruptured. The cab is the safest place for the fuel tank to me. The truck's I've owned with underbody tanks have all had issues with damage at some point. Saddle tanks are the most dangerous fuel tanks in a wreck and that mustang tank hanging down in the rear would be destroyed under my truck by either dragging over something or a rock spitting off the front tires.
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70
zakt
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by zakt »

my 72' F350 2wd came with the super cool radiator and shroud here is a pic

1972 Ford F350 crewcab
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

Nice, i checked out my super cool radiator in the highboy today :D

More problems. WHen in neutral, brake off, it takes a truck to push. Two people can BARELY move the truck an inch by pushing. First ill check the brakes because it sat for 4 years but what else could this be in case it is not just the brakes? Front hubs were locked also, i don't know if that matters.
-Ryan
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

it could be the front hubs are ingauged that holds it from rolling so easily.
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

Ok cool so hopefully it will roll a lot easiei when i get the Ford hub unlocked. Also when i was tow strapping it and my buddy was steering he said the drivers rear tire would turn a revolution, lock, turn again. I'll have to pull all the wheels off and replace all brake parts anyways so i guess i'll find out what it is. He said the steering wheel would jolt really hard when he was steering it too.
-Ryan
Doug Comer
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Doug Comer »

Probably a stupid question....Did you check the gear ratios the make sure the front and rear match. I had to run 3.54 in the rear with 4.10 in the front for a bit (only used 4x4 in slick surfaces). 4 wheel drive was kinda funny handling :P . If your transfer case is in 4x4 and you have two different gear ratios it will be very hard to push. Like I said stupid question but I had to ask.

Doug
1967 f100 4x4
1970 f250 4x4
sideoilerfe
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by sideoilerfe »

averagef250 wrote:I just wanted to chime in and say that I love my in cab tank. I didn't mind it when my truck was still gasoline powered, even when I used to smoke. I got piece of mind knowing that no matter what happened to the truck it would have to be hit hard enough to kill me before that tank ever ruptured. The cab is the safest place for the fuel tank to me. The truck's I've owned with underbody tanks have all had issues with damage at some point. Saddle tanks are the most dangerous fuel tanks in a wreck and that mustang tank hanging down in the rear would be destroyed under my truck by either dragging over something or a rock spitting off the front tires.
:yt: X1000

Anybody doesn't want their in cab tank can give them to me!
Side oiler FE, see if you can catch me!!!

1970 F250 4x4 390/4spd
1968 F250 4X2 360/C6/No Rust!
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

okay sidoiler, i have two 3 incab tanks for you sitting at home :thup:

I've got the bed of the highboy off and the incab tank out along with the rear cab mounting bolts. Just need to detach the cab and pull the front clip off.Then set the 69's body on... a couple more days..
-Ryan
77Ranger

Post by 77Ranger »

I don't mean to butt in but but I have a 77 f150 2wd. I have come across a 76 f250 4x4 truck with no bed,shot cab, bad motor, good trans good transfer case. Can I just put my body and motor on the 250 frame to have 4x4?