Fuel Gauge and New Sending Unit - Only Registering 1/4 tank

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

goat_72

Fuel Gauge and New Sending Unit - Only Registering 1/4 tank

Post by goat_72 »

Apologies if this topic has been covered ... since getting my 72 Ford F100, the fuel gauge has never registered a reading. This article has been a huge help and very well written and basis of my troubleshooting below - http://www.fordification.com/tech/fuel- ... -units.htm

I tested the original sending the unit by unplugging the sending unit cable and grounding it to the cap of the sending unit aka sending no resistance and it registered a "full tank". This told me potentially the sending unit itself was shot, so I ordered a new one. Taking out the old unit the float indeed was in poor shape.

I replaced the old sending unit with a new one. I now get a reading of about quarter tank, when I estimate to have 3/4. Unfortunately, I did not test the sending unit manually with full / empty positions before installing the new one.

Using my multimeter, I can see the sending unit is pushing out about 20 ohms which is inline with a 3/4 tank of gas.
I also used the multimeter to test the power cable which I believe is coming from the instrument panel voltage regulator (IPVR) and is regulated to 5v. Testing the power cable again with my multimeter I get a reading of about 1.5 volts.

Could this suggest the instrument panel voltage regulator is perhaps faulty? How does this correlate to resistance being pushed of 20 ohms out and 1/4 tank? Does this suggest perhaps there is too much resistance for 1.5 volts being supplied or does the sending unit operate on a different voltage to that of the gauge itself and the gauge only reacts to the resistance?

Other things that I notice when I switch on lights and the like and pull a draw on the battery, the instrument lights on the dim a bit. I suspect the IPVR is supposed to keep this in balance?
'72 f100 swb
'17 audi allroad
'15 toyota highlander
wife & 2 kids
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Fuel Gauge and New Sending Unit - Only Registering 1/4 tank

Post by basketcase0302 »

"goat_72"]Apologies if this topic has been covered ... since getting my 72 Ford F100, the fuel gauge has never registered a reading. This article has been a huge help and very well written and basis of my troubleshooting below - http://www.fordification.com/tech/fuel- ... -units.htm

I tested the original sending the unit by unplugging the sending unit cable and grounding it to the cap of the sending unit aka sending no resistance and it registered a "full tank". This told me potentially the sending unit itself was shot, so I ordered a new one. Taking out the old unit the float indeed was in poor shape.

I replaced the old sending unit with a new one. I now get a reading of about quarter tank, when I estimate to have 3/4. Unfortunately, I did not test the sending unit manually with full / empty positions before installing the new one.

Using my multimeter, I can see the sending unit is pushing out about 20 ohms which is inline with a 3/4 tank of gas.
I also used the multimeter to test the power cable which I believe is coming from the instrument panel voltage regulator (IPVR) and is regulated to 5v. Testing the power cable again with my multimeter I get a reading of about 1.5 volts.

Could this suggest the instrument panel voltage regulator is perhaps faulty? How does this correlate to resistance being pushed of 20 ohms out and 1/4 tank? Does this suggest perhaps there is too much resistance for 1.5 volts being supplied or does the sending unit operate on a different voltage to that of the gauge itself and the gauge only reacts to the resistance?

Other things that I notice when I switch on lights and the like and pull a draw on the battery, the instrument lights on the dim a bit. I suspect the IPVR is supposed to keep this in balance?
You mentioned that the float was in poor shape-yet you didn't mention anything about replacing it? And yes testing the sending unit out of the tank will tell you if the IPVR is holding voltage to the sending unit.
On the instruments lights I'd first go to the source of the power drain, (the lights) which is always a known culprit on our bump era trucks.
1) How much does your voltage drop to, (and from) when you turn the lights on?
2) Have the existing headlight bulbs been changed to halogen or any other newer style bulb?
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
goat_72

Post by goat_72 »

Hi

Yes I replaced the sending unit but didn’t check full / empty positions before installing. I filled up the tank and I now get a reading of just over 1/4 tank on the gauge. When I tested the power to the sending unit with it unplugged from the sending unit that is when I saw 1.5v.

As for lights - need to double check that but I see parking lights and stuff have been updated.

As for charge with engine not running I get about 12.5v
Engine running with lights on it can be as low 11.94. Engine on no load I can get up to 14.28. But that said it’s quite variable.

Should I consider getting g the IPVR looked at as I understand this needs to control that 5v is sent to sending unit.
'72 f100 swb
'17 audi allroad
'15 toyota highlander
wife & 2 kids
Russell J

Post by Russell J »

This troubleshooting option is simplistic and I apologize if you've already checked it, but I noticed that you still haven't mentioned whether or not you've replaced the float; you've only said you replaced the sending unit.

My point is that I have had at least 2 bad floats in the the past. They will fill part way with gasoline and therefore, hang low and not level with the surface level of the gas in the tank. This will register a low tank when it is actually full.

Remove the sending unit from the tank and remove the float from the arm. Shake the float. If you hear gas in there, replace the float. If you are confident it is empty (as it should be) check this item off the list of potential problems.
goat_72

Post by goat_72 »

Hi Russell

Ok, I understand now ... so yes to confirm when I replaced the "sending unit" I actually replaced the entire kit, including sending unit, arm and float. I would hope with this being brand new it would be sealed tight. To that avail, I will take it the out and check the ohms with full and empty arm positions together with the integrity of the float.

I will take a look this weekend and report back. Thanks again for the tuition ...
'72 f100 swb
'17 audi allroad
'15 toyota highlander
wife & 2 kids
goat_72

Post by goat_72 »

Tonight I took out the sending unit and checked the integrity of the float. There was no fuel inside it. With it in the full position, it generated 8 ohms and in the empty position about 88 ohms ... so I believe this is still within good range of the 10 - 90 ohms it expects full to empty spectrum.

With a multimeter and the sending unit cable grounded (no resistance) - I still only seem to be getting 1.5 volts of power. Unless I have this wrong, I am going to work backwards and check the IPVR. There other funky things happening on the dashboard, like only one indicator light flashing. I checked bulbs and all points on the instrument panel and even gave them all a good clean.
'72 f100 swb
'17 audi allroad
'15 toyota highlander
wife & 2 kids
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

Sounds to me you'll either find the issues to be the IPVR which is a known culprit.

Jeff
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
71PA_Highboy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by 71PA_Highboy »

While you are in there make sure you have a GREAT ground... good ones can still cause problems... :(
Got Ford?
2 EarlyBroncos (68,69)
2 Classic Mustangs (69,70)
1 F250 4x4 (71) - OB - 360, NP435, D24, HPD60 4.10, D60,
1 94 Ranger, 2.3, 5spd
1 Lincoln Mark VIII
Redcrew71

Post by Redcrew71 »

beg my ignorance...what is the IPVR ?

I have similar issue but no reading at all. when grounding out test. needle does not move for either tank. have aux from factory.
Russell J

Post by Russell J »

IPVR= Instrument Panel Voltage Regulator

However your description of the problem would indicate;

"The power supply to the gauge has been interrupted, (check fuses), the gauge is defective, or the wire from the gauge to the sending unit is open or has a break in it." That is per the following link on troubleshooting the Fuel Gauge...

http://www.fordification.com/tech/fuel- ... -units.htm
goat_72

Post by goat_72 »

So, I replaced the IPVR and I now get a solid 5v to the sending unit. Full tank of gas, I get 8.8 ohms back to the guage. Before I was only getting 1.5 volts to the sending unit, so faulty IPVR seemed to be the culprit.

My dashboard lights are brighter and my alternator light started working again when iginition has battery turned on.
Last edited by goat_72 on Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'72 f100 swb
'17 audi allroad
'15 toyota highlander
wife & 2 kids
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

:thup:
Jeff
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
Redcrew71

Post by Redcrew71 »

Russell J wrote:IPVR= Instrument Panel Voltage Regulator

However your description of the problem would indicate;

"The power supply to the gauge has been interrupted, (check fuses), the gauge is defective, or the wire from the gauge to the sending unit is open or has a break in it." That is per the following link on troubleshooting the Fuel Gauge...

http://www.fordification.com/tech/fuel- ... -units.htm
Going to do bit more digging this weekend on this. how hard is it to find the power wire on the aux tank under the bed...is it even reach able?

also,...if the gauge is defective is it a replaceable part to swap in and out of the cluster?

thanks
Thipdar

Post by Thipdar »

Redcrew71 wrote:if the gauge is defective is it a replaceable part to swap in and out of the cluster?
Yes, they are usually replaceable, but the gauge is rarely bad.

What year truck are you talking about, and does the instrument have idiot lights?
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Incidentally one of todays projects was to try to get my gas gauge working reliably. when replacing the IPVR (common issue) I discovered the printed circuit damaged at the corner where it bends into the plug.

So, when you test the circuit, don’t forget the circuit that goes from the harness to the gauge (printed circuit)
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper