Restoring XLT tailgate panel insert

Moderator: FORDification

jingo

Restoring XLT tailgate panel insert

Post by jingo »

At some point a PO installed an XLT tailgate panel on my Ranger. There are a few small dents, dings and scratches, and the wood grain has weathered away (except under the letters), but otherwise the panel is in great shape.
[image]444[/image]
I've had some good luck so far restoring more extensive damage on my headlight doors, trim, etc to 'almost' new (lye strip, raise defects, file, sand 80 -> 2000, re-anodize), so I thought I'd do the same with this panel. However, when I removed it, the panel appears to be pressed on to the bracket.
[image]445[/image]
I can't see any way to separate the steel bracket from the panel to get to the back of the aluminum, so restoring it, or re-anodizing, is out of the question. Looking for some confirmation I really am stuck, or possibly some clever way to remove the bracket from the panel so that I can work it. Thanks.
1970 Ranger Styleside, LWB, Harbor Blue
416, C6, man brakes & steering
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Restoring XLT tailgate panel insert

Post by cep62 »

Maybe you can drill an access hole behind the damage, and /or get a paintless dent repair guy to push out the dents.
jingo

Post by jingo »

If all I needed to do was work the aluminum, that might be doable, assuming I could punch through the sheet steel without damaging the aluminum in the process - could be tough. But even so that doesn’t help me get the aluminum re-anodized ...the bracket is still attached.

Im afraid removing the bracket is a must. A friend looking at this problem suggested I work a ‘side-swiper’ tool to pry up the crimp, a removal tool used by aluminum siding guys.

I’m going to try that next. First working both long edges very modestly, just to ease the pressure, hose it down with PB blaster, and then try to slide the bracket off. If that doesn’t work, I’ll uncrimp one edge fully and pull the bracket out. I just ordered some 3M wood vinyl, so I’m committed to this project now!

I’m guessing this problem is why I’ve never seen a fully restored XLT panel anyplace - not for sale or show. We’ll see how this turns out....
chicof100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by chicof100 »

I've restored at least 4 of these panels. I found it easiest to separate or lift one side of the pinch. I made a slide with handle just for this purpose. My first one was done using a slap paddle for body work. It was good but the lifting of the pinched areas were a pain to put back down. Now with the tool I made, It's a lot easier to squeeze the pinch back down. I'll be doing two more in the near future.
1964 f100
292 yblock
1969 Ranger
Loving all ford vehicles
jingo

Post by jingo »

Thanks chicof100, thats kinda what I figured I had to do, glad I'm on the right track. Send me an image of one of your restorations, I'd like to know what I have to aspire to :) I love to see old Ford stuff put together again.
chicof100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by chicof100 »

ranger xlt panel 001.JPG
I hope this works.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1964 f100
292 yblock
1969 Ranger
Loving all ford vehicles
jingo

Post by jingo »

That looks fantastic, thanks for the image!

Do you re-anodize and, if so, do you go for the original bright dip? I kind of like the ‘softer’ gloss of the trim I’ve done so far when I’m done polishing with rouge. I’m wondering if a clear anodize would maintain this look. Thoughts?
chicof100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by chicof100 »

No anodizing. I use a polish then a sealer. water beads off, the sealer will last up to a year. You can always polish any time, just afterwards you need to seal it.
1964 f100
292 yblock
1969 Ranger
Loving all ford vehicles
cdnwillyg
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by cdnwillyg »

When you say sealer what are you using? How is it applied?
Thanks
1968 Mercury M250 Camper Special
FE-390,570CFM 4bbl, C6 Automatic, PS, PB front disk.
Stony Plain, Alberta, Canada
:drive:Willy
Bullitt74
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Bullitt74 »

Hey Chico, would you be willing to pop up a few pics of the tool you created and how you open up that pinch? I'm going to have to do this very soon on mine. Also, what wood grain product do you use? 3M Di NOC marine teak, or Vvivid?
Steve F.
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
'72 Ranger XLT, 4x2, 390-2V, C6, Wind blue & Wimbledon White (‘Smokey’)
8)
2016 F150 Lariat FX4 Supercrew, Ruby Red
Follow my build thread for 'Smokey': http://fordification.com/forum/viewtopi ... 22&t=85070
jingo

Post by jingo »

I just finished removing my panel from the bracket, using a Sideswiper II aluminum siding tool, $8 from Amazon...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000 ... UTF8&psc=1

I used a screwdriver to pry a gap big enough to slide the tool in to start, then tapped with a hammer against the edge of the tool to advance it. I worked along the bottom edge, lifting the crimp about 1/16" every inch or so. Then I quickly went along the whole edge with a broad screwdriver to lift it enough to pop the panel out.

It was a little tedious tapping along, but it worked and didn't damage the profile of the aluminum on the other side, since I was working the tools against the steel bracket throughout.

Hope that helps.
Bullitt74
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Bullitt74 »

Thanks Jingo, this will be a great help! I have a couple dents along the edges that will need to be worked out. When working with aluminum, do you have to heat shrink it at times if one is really working the aluminum?
Steve F.
8)
Follow my build thread for 'Smokey': http://fordification.com/forum/viewtopi ... 22&t=85070
jingo

Post by jingo »

In my experience, no, but others with more skill at this craft may know otherwise.

I simply raise (or lower) the working surface cold, just enough to rough shape the defect out with a file. Then progressively sand 80 grit to wet 600, or 2000 - whatever your style. Polish in a grinder with rouge to finish.
Bullitt74
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Bullitt74 »

jingo wrote:In my experience, no, but others with more skill at this craft may know otherwise.

I simply raise (or lower) the working surface cold, just enough to rough shape the defect out with a file. Then progressively sand 80 grit to wet 600, or 2000 - whatever your style. Polish in a grinder with rouge to finish.
Any updates on this project? :D
Steve F.
8)
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

jingo wrote:......I just ordered some 3M wood vinyl, so I’m committed to this project now..

Hi Jingo
Would you mind sharing which 3m vinyl your using?

Thanks
1972 F250 4x4 XLT stock but P.O. hacked
2010 F350 CC LB 4x4 stock