dentside hood on a bump

Moderator: FORDification

Kraig

Re: dentside hood on a bump

Post by Kraig »

It said in the article he's a machinist and made the trim..probably out of angle and polished it.
1969 F100 Ranger LWB Big Block, factory bucket seats and behind seat storage (arrived 3/21/12) (and it was free!)
1986 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe 247K and still going strong! (sold with 251,758 miles on it!)
1986 Comp Prep SVO Mustang (1 of 83) "the original Fox body "R" model!!"
1972 Ford F-100 LWB SOLD 5/2/6
1995 F150 XLT Supercab (wanna trade for a Bump?)
303mike

Post by 303mike »

Good eye. I didnt see that.
He did an amazing job on the truck!
cookmatt67

Post by cookmatt67 »

this is an awsome truck! although that hood may have started out as a dent it is in no way a stock piece!

as you can see the dent hood is 1 3/4 inches wider than the dent truck and the angle of the side body is also different.

this hood has some major mods done to fit our trucks, but man i wish i had the talent to do that kind of work cause i love the look!!
F100builder
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by F100builder »

Makes me want to find one at the boneyard and give it a try. It looks like it would be several small relief cuts in the flange...the midsection to the front might not be too bad of a fit as the bump fenders actually stick out past the bump hood a little. The front corners would be the biggest challenge I think if the difference was significant. I'd really like to give it a shot! 8)
Patrick

ImageImageImageImage
'56 F100; Must.II IFS, 351W bored & stroked to 395c.i. 470hp/483ft-lbs., AOD, 4-link coilover 9" w/ 3.89's
'69 F100; 390, C6, Dana 60 w/ 4.10's
'70 F100; 'new' and latest project soon to have a built 390/C6 and 3.50 gears
To see more of my F100's: http://www.cardomain.com/id/lowfat56
cookmatt67

Post by cookmatt67 »

ill see what it looks like as soon as i get my fenders back on next week. will shoot a few more pics as well
F100builder
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by F100builder »

cookmatt67 wrote:ill see what it looks like as soon as i get my fenders back on next week. will shoot a few more pics as well
Cool...I'd like to see it! :thup:
Patrick

ImageImageImageImage
'56 F100; Must.II IFS, 351W bored & stroked to 395c.i. 470hp/483ft-lbs., AOD, 4-link coilover 9" w/ 3.89's
capeclassics

Post by capeclassics »

UH.......what do the terms dent/bump refer to exactly??????.......DUH
elgemcdlf
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by elgemcdlf »

capeclassics wrote:UH.......what do the terms dent/bump refer to exactly??????.......DUH
If you look at the truck from the side the '67-72 (bumps) have a body line that protrudes outward from the body. The '73-'79 (dents) are recessed
capeclassics

Post by capeclassics »

Thanks for clarifying that for me!!
cookmatt67

Post by cookmatt67 »

Hello all got my 77 hood on the 67 this week

first order of the day was to get rid of the lip on the hood. as the 77 hood is wider the lip will not rest inside the inner fender correctlyImage.
now we have to narrow the back of the hood and alter the curvature by just over an inch. the front part of the hood is the correct witdth, so here we go cutting slits in the undersideImage
Image Once the slits are made I took a ratchet strap and pulled it in where it needed to be and tacked it all together paying attention to the bodyline at the bottom of the hoodImage
now that im happy with it i just weld up the rest and repeat on the other sideImage

This is where things will change for most of you. I am making a tilt front end so I just mod'd some brackets to replace the factory hinges and latch with. so i'm not sure what will work best on a regular cab i would think that if you replaced the flat bottom of the runner on the hinge that the hood sits on with a wider piece of steel and recut your mount holes it would work just fine. as for the latch the 77 has the latch in the radiator support not in the hood. I would rework the support instead of the hood. much more meat to work with!!

the Dent hood sure does look good on this truck in my opinion though and you can purchase a brand new one or a very clean used one almost anywhere. Bump hoods are not the same story though.. i have put my hands on over 2 dozen hoods here in the southeast and havent been able to find any as clean as an average dent hood.Image
F100builder
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by F100builder »

Outstanding!!! I didn't realize that you were actually 'going for it' when you were mocking it up...I just thought you were showing the rest of us! Looks like you're doing some good work there and it's a nice write up! I guess I had the right idea about the relief cutting but I wasn't aware of the pinched flange on the sides needing trimmed off. Thanks for the great info and pics! I can't wait to see more. Keep it up! :thup:
Patrick

ImageImageImageImage
F100builder
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by F100builder »

cookmatt67 wrote:...this hood has some major mods done to fit our trucks, but man i wish i had the talent to do that kind of work cause i love the look!!
BTW...it would appear that you do indeed have some talent!
Patrick

ImageImageImageImage
cookmatt67

Post by cookmatt67 »

hello all, kind of a slow week off for me but i was able to get the front end done heres a few pics

67mann
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 67mann »

:D nice work,but I gotta change the subject for now as I "eyespy" a shaved door on your truck and would love to hear more about what kit you used and where you mounted your poppers :? I'm a ways off for doing mine and really haven't alot of trucks that have it done. How was the wiring...do you still have the stock harness. My set is from Spal and I have a Ron Francis wiring kit for mine. TIA jerry........... 8) truck
I've had enough and I'm not alone
http://s267.photobucket.com/albums/ii304/67mann/
cookmatt67

Post by cookmatt67 »

The door poppers are from autoloc and the wiring for those is custom. the relays sent with the kit are super cheap so i am using some better quality boshe relays. they are all mounted under the dash. i mounted the poppers directly under the door latches so that it would be a straight pull to the poppers. as for the trucks wiring harness it is a reworked original harness. all the wiring for the front-end uses the factory type quick disconnect plugs. and the truck will run a one wire GM alt. The battery has also been moved under the cab on the passenger side. there are also things i'll not discuss much like alarm/remote power disconnect/backup door operators and such, so much of the original harness has been reworked to suit my needs