Heater core, A/C question

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

mustango

Heater core, A/C question

Post by mustango »

My '71 f100 came with an underdash A/c unit that was not part of the heater box. Is this the factory A/C? Should I order the standard heater core or the core for factory A/C?
Mark C.

'71 F-100 LB, FE 390.

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who once said, "I drank what?" (Val Kilmer in Real Genius)
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

re: Heater core, A/C question

Post by FORDification »

THIS PICTURE show the only factory A/C unit, that combines the heater and A/C sytems. If your truck has this, then you need to order the heater core for it. If you truck has one of the smaller underdash units, like THIS ONE or THIS ONE, then you have a dealer add-on unit, and you'd just order the heater core for a non-A/C truck.
Last edited by FORDification on Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
mustango

re: Heater core, A/C question

Post by mustango »

Thanks for the info. :D
Mark C.

'71 F-100 LB, FE 390.

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who once said, "I drank what?" (Val Kilmer in Real Genius)
robbie_barber

Re: Heater core, A/C question

Post by robbie_barber »

I have a 72 F250 that has the factory ac/heater combo. Neither work at this time. I only want to get the heater going for now. I am having trouble finding the correct heater core for this unit. All the listings I see say "for truck with no A/C". I can't find one that says "truck with A/C". Could you help me find the correct replacement? Thanks RB
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

robbie_barber wrote:I have a 72 F250 that has the factory ac/heater combo. Neither work at this time. I only want to get the heater going for now. I am having trouble finding the correct heater core for this unit. All the listings I see say "for truck with no A/C". I can't find one that says "truck with A/C". Could you help me find the correct replacement? Thanks RB
There may be a place in florida still making them. I dont remeber thier name now. Four seasons is a heater core manufacturer. As well as other brands. Look on ebay get the manufacturer names and call them.
Another alternative is to buy the one with no ac. And have the tibes swapped from your old core. The tubes are the only difference between the two heater cores.
Another alternative is to get a non ac heater with controls and remove your ac box.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

You're probably going to have to go the route fordman mentioned by buying a non-a/c (easily available) core and having the tubes modified by a radiator shop. When I was rebuilding my A/C box, I think I found the only one in existence. Vista Pro #399038. I searched the web for hours to cross reference part numbers for Modine and other manufacturers and finally found it on RockAuto. Ordered it immediately. The next day I Googled all the same different keywords, part numbers, manufacturers, etc and Google came up with "No Results" every time so think that was the last one at the time a couple of years ago. Here's my rebuild thread http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 3&start=15
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.