Hanger Half Flip ? Cut coils Which shocks ?

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

68shortbedinmo

Hanger Half Flip ? Cut coils Which shocks ?

Post by 68shortbedinmo »

Hello
I have done a Front Hanger half flip and I was wanting to know what size of shock to run ? I have read a few people say with a half flip you run stock shocks. Is this true ? I would measure but I currently have the bed off and I am worried I wouldn't get an accurate measurement without the weight. I also cut 1 1/2 coils in the front will a stock shock work there as well ?
Thanks
RangerRat

Re: Hanger Half Flip ? Cut coils Which shocks ?

Post by RangerRat »

I see no one has responded so I'll jump in. It really is going to depend on how much you lowered it in inches. Hopefully you measured before and after. On my 72' I have Crown 2 inch lowering springs on the front and lowered the rear 2 inches with hangers and shackles. I can tell you I'm getting by just fine with stock length shocks. I went with KYB Gas-a-Just on the front and the KYB GR2 on the rear and couldn't be happier. If yours is lowered 3 inches or more I'd get a good set of drop shocks. The DJM brand seem to be well liked. There's really no magic to it. If it's lowered a lot you just don't want your shocks bottoming out so you run the drop/lowering shocks. I like a little stiffer shock on the front to help with handling. I also recommend adding a front sway bar. You won't be disappointed. Hope that helps.