What's this loud tapping sound from my new engine?

Engine Forum Archives

Moderator: Ranchero50

sideoilerfe
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: What's this loud tapping sound from my new engine?

Post by sideoilerfe »

67mann wrote:
Off topic to this thread and asking this Q for my own knowledge too---Are all 16.5 tire--split rim or just certain trucks and in this day and age are 16.5 tires irregular to get or come by :? :?
Mostly the split rings are 16 and not 16.5. A lot of tire shops won't touch them because they're afraid of the lock ring popping off during inflation. Fact is, they aren't unsafe unless the lock ring is improperly installed. They require inner tubes because of the wheel design. And yes, 16.5 tires are becoming harder to come by these days and the selection of sizes are too.

OK, back to the engine!

Robroy should've received an itemized invoice for sure. That is (for lack of better words) B.S. I'll scan my invoice to show you in a few...
Side oiler FE, see if you can catch me!!!

1970 F250 4x4 390/4spd
1968 F250 4X2 360/C6/No Rust!
sideoilerfe
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by sideoilerfe »

Here's my invoice. Note the date. This was basically a stock rebuild with a bigger cam and springs. I bought the Crane 343941 cam. They itemized everything with part numbers were as PU just gave you basic random figures. These guys do excellent work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Side oiler FE, see if you can catch me!!!

1970 F250 4x4 390/4spd
1968 F250 4X2 360/C6/No Rust!
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Good day 67Mann, Robert, SideOilerFE, and AMS, thanks for your excellent replies!

SideOilerFE, thanks for posting that scanned copy of your engine rebuild invoice. It DOES look detailed (not to mention very reasonable)! That's a good example for me--thank you.

Thanks again for the great replies!!!
Robroy
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Hello Friends!

When this thread began on November 2nd, I was asking for some advice on a funny engine sound. That question has already been answered, and then some! Obviously it has expanded a lot since then. It's now covering two separate topics: my adventure with the Proformance Unlimited engine build, and my new engine build by Tom Lucas at FE Specialties.

With two topics being covered, it has become difficult to preserve a cohesive train of thought on both of them. As all of you know, it's much easier to follow a thread when it discusses a single subject at a time.

Robert and I discussed this. And with this in mind, we've decided to branch this thread in to two new threads (one per subject). Here they are:

390FE (406ci) for #50, built by Tom Lucas at FE Specialties.

Proformance Unlimited 390FE for #50: a complete disaster.

This image illustrates this kind of branching, and the element of the branch you're looking at now. If it's hard to see, click on it for a larger, more detailed view.

Thank you all so much for the wonderful advice and moral support you've given me up to now! This story is far from over, so please stay tuned to the new threads once they've begun.

Robroy