Windage Tray on Oil Pan?

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Windage Tray on Oil Pan?

Post by colnago »

I was reading an article the other day about getting the most out of your engine. One of the suggestions was to install a windage tray on top of the oil pan, so the crank doesn't have to slap its way through waves of oil as you bounce down the road. I was just wondering if anyone has done this, and what the results were. I probably won't do this, unless I'm really bored, but I figured I'd ask.

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
tnlprt
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: Windage Tray on Oil Pan?

Post by tnlprt »

I run a windage tray in all My FE builds .....Then again they are far from run of the mill
FE Heaven5.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mrollings53
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Windage Tray on Oil Pan?

Post by mrollings53 »

I put one on my 390 when I rebuilt it. I did it so that I could run an extra quart or two of oil without worrying about the crank hitting the oil. I want to say I used a Milodon windage tray. There were a couple of issues installing it. I had to cut out reliefs around the rear main cap because the ARP main bolts I used extended past the face of the cap, and the crank actually hit the windage tray, so I had to remove some material around there too. The tray also necessitates using two oil pan gaskets.
Common Sense is an Uncommon Virtue