kick back linkage

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

70xlt

kick back linkage

Post by 70xlt »

I rebuilt engine, new carb and quick fuel carb (600), had tranny rebuilt. Hooking up linkage the kick back linkage is about 1.5" too short. I talked with tranny builder and all seems fine on his end. I measured old intake vs new one and it's almost identical measurements. I even purchased from Holley and extension for the kick back linkage, does anyone have and idea what's up? any and all suggestions will be appreciated.
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: kick back linkage

Post by colnago »

The only thing that comes to mind is if you are now using a spacer under the carb. I thought that the kickdown lever at the tranny might be upside-down or backward, but I think the lever is connected to the kickdown rod, so it can't be wrong. Personally, I don't have a kickdown installed, and haven't really missed it.

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

You went from 2 BBL to 4 BBL?
70xlt

Post by 70xlt »

According to b4 and after pics the kick down lever is real close or exact to original location. The only thing that might be different is the rebuilder put a new shift kit in the trans when rebuilding. Please help.
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

70xlt wrote:According to b4 and after pics the kick down lever is real close or exact to original location. The only thing that might be different is the rebuilder put a new shift kit in the trans when rebuilding. Please help.
Shift kit is not going to affect the kickdown lever position on the side of the trans.
Did you switch from 2 barrel carb to a 4 barrel?
WhitsEnd
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by WhitsEnd »

When you say intakes measure the same, I'm wondering what measurements you're talking about.

Of course the overall width and length are the same...they're on the same engine. Maybe the carb is in the same location, front to back and side to side. But: Did you measure the carb pad height from the china wall?
8) 1970 F100 Ranger 2WD
:thup: project link: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=83642
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

Also, even if the intake measurements are the same, just the fact that you replaced the intake can be some of the difference. You used new gaskets, which may be holding the new intake higher. Maybe the new intake sits a fraction of an inch further forward on the block.

Final suggestion: take the kickdown lever to a machinist or welder, and have them extend the length another 1-1/2". It's not uncommon for the kickdown lever to be too short when converting from 2BBL to 4BBL (hence, BobbyFord's question).

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

If you went from a 2 barrel carburetor to a 4 barrel carburetor that is why the kickdown rod is “too short.”
Bill Ramsey
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Bill Ramsey »

Just get a cable setup from lokar. That's what I had, works great. Problem solved.
1968 Highboy
1976 Highboy
1969 F250 Camper Special
1941 Dodge Power Wagon
1930 Model A Coupe (Hotrod)
1962 Fairlane 500 Sports Coupe
VW Sandrails
Honda ATC's
36' Diesel Pusher for roughing it.
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

Bill Ramsey wrote:Just get a cable setup from lokar. That's what I had, works great. Problem solved.
That will work on our bumps? I thought Lokar only worked on later models.

Joseph
Bill Ramsey
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Bill Ramsey »

I'm here to tell you I bought one, installed it and it worked. It's not working now, I yanked the engine out.
1968 Highboy
1976 Highboy
1969 F250 Camper Special
1941 Dodge Power Wagon
1930 Model A Coupe (Hotrod)
1962 Fairlane 500 Sports Coupe
VW Sandrails
Honda ATC's
36' Diesel Pusher for roughing it.