Picked Up My Project

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

Coyote50

Picked Up My Project

Post by Coyote50 »

Hi Guys. Great to join you beyond the reading I've been doing for a while following your amazing projects. Don't think mine will be at the level of some of yours and it will be slow because of my schedule but I already feel better getting my hands dirty again. Haven't figured out the picture posting yet but I picked up my 1968 M100 on Sunday. It's a long box stepside which I plan to shorten. Original engine currently not running is a 240 with a 3spd. I know that isn't staying. Still debating what will replace it. Exploring the possibility of building a clevor, getting a 460, or using the 5.4 mod motor I already have. Also debating between a chassis swap from a 2001 F150 or doing the CV front and and IRS rear from a bird or explorer. Appreciate your thoughts and input, or ideas I may not have considered. Just want a classic Merc sitting on a modern reliable chassis.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Picked Up My Project

Post by basketcase0302 »

Coyote50 wrote:Hi Guys. Great to join you beyond the reading I've been doing for a while following your amazing projects. Don't think mine will be at the level of some of yours and it will be slow because of my schedule but I already feel better getting my hands dirty again. Haven't figured out the picture posting yet but I picked up my 1968 M100 on Sunday. It's a long box stepside which I plan to shorten. Original engine currently not running is a 240 with a 3spd. I know that isn't staying. Still debating what will replace it. Exploring the possibility of building a clevor, getting a 460, or using the 5.4 mod motor I already have. Also debating between a chassis swap from a 2001 F150 or doing the CV front and and IRS rear from a bird or explorer. Appreciate your thoughts and input, or ideas I may not have considered. Just want a classic Merc sitting on a modern reliable chassis.
Dude...really a 1968 M100? :clap:

As fewer and fewer are being found these days there are about a dozen guys with them here on Fordification.
Most of those seem to be in Canada and Austrailia but I found one 25 miles South of me here four years ago-rotting away.
Guy wouldn't sell it because it belonged to his Father who had long since passed away.
Good luck with your project! If it's not a daily driver I say go the 460 route as I've never seen a Merc here with one in it? :hmm:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
Coyote50

Post by Coyote50 »

It will be a toy not a daily driver. Cruise nights, shows, camping trips maybe. I am leaning toward big block just for the novelty of it. Thanks for your input. Any advice on how to get photos from my phone (Android) to here?
Lone Ranger
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Lone Ranger »

Mercs are so sweet! Good score! Welcome from Michigan and good luck. As for pictures steer clear of photobucket. I use imageshack, lots of hosting sites tho.
1972 f100 4x4 4 inch lift with dump box kit-sold
1969 f250 4x4 highboy in progress.
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=85251
Kyle
Coyote50

Post by Coyote50 »

The serial # for those interested is F10ACD28246
I am in Canada.
So far I have the old wood and braces removed from the box. New wood and metal strips needed but the braces underneath are perfect. The fenders came off the box easily. Very little work to do there. Just sandblasting and some minor dent repair. I also plan to weld up the seam in the box side. No tail gate so I either need to find one or make one. Actually toying with the idea of making one and stamping M100 or M460 in it ;)

Took the seat and mats out of the cab. Posts are perfect but floors need a little work in the front corners. Tackling that tomorrow if all goes as planned. Picked up some 18 gauge satine yesterday.

There was a pretty good crunch in the front passenger corner. Used a come along to pull the bumper straight then pulled the fender out as well. If the fender wasn't so good rust wise I probably would have replaced it but nothing a hammer and dollie can't fix. My dad is a retired bodyman and has it looking pretty good already. The mirror was clipped as well and bent the door. That is looking better too.

After the floors are in tomorrow the back of the cab needs a bit of work at the bottom as well as below the battery box and cab supports in the back. That should end the welding. Not bad for a 1968 Merc. Serious steel in the old girl. :)
Last edited by Coyote50 on Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lone Ranger
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Lone Ranger »

Wow that'll be fast progress! I'll be watching :pop:
Kyle
Coyote50

Post by Coyote50 »

[image]https://imageshack.us/my/images[/image][image]IMG_20170730_154015825.jpg[/image]

What am I doing wrong?
Coyote50

Post by Coyote50 »

Well today started on plan. Cut the cancer out, found a mouse nest inside the door post which I had to extract through a very small hole using a vacuum and screw driver. When I went to make cardboard templates for the patches I realized we just took all the cardboard recycling to the depot last week. I will have to acquire some more. So instead I moved to dent repair. We didn't get the all but came close. The front edge of the hood had some unfortunate mishaps which requires some pulling with a come along. Tack welded a chain loop to the dent, pulled nice and easy and most of them reversed quite nicely. I also took some 100 grit to the hood with the orbital. Looks like the bad tan won't need any blasting after all. :) Tomorrow is a holiday here and I hope to have the hood primed with high build by the end of the day and maybe some floor stitches done as well. Pretty happy with the progress so far.
1guydude
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 1guydude »

wow ur not wasting any time. Getting right to it. right on. good for u.
I use smugmug. Ive never used imageshack so im no help.
-d
2008 bmw 528i
1967 ford f100
2014 vw tiguan
2016 kawasaki 250f
2015 KTM rc390
2014 audi tt Quatro s
Braaaaap!
Lone Ranger
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Lone Ranger »

For image shack I click on the picture and it brings up a bunch of lines of code. I copy the second code which is the direct link. Jump back to your reply on fordification. Click the little "Img" button at the top. It should put something like this- [img][Img] in your reply.Then paste the code from image shack right in the middle of it. Seems confusing but it's not to bad. You can always preview your message to see if it worked.
Kyle
Coyote50

Post by Coyote50 »

Coyote50

Post by Coyote50 »

Getting her on the trailer. I will post more pics when I have time. :)
cstoyer

Post by cstoyer »

If your not set on the motor yet I would like to put my vote on a 406 or 410 Mercury Motor with the original Merc Valve Covers. Either is still an Fe and would be right at home under that hood.

CStoyer
68 F250 4x4
Coyote50

Post by Coyote50 »

Great idea if I could find one...
Coyote50

Post by Coyote50 »

Making decent progress. As I "feared" working on the truck is more fun and easier than keeping the build updated on here ;)