'72 Vent Window Seals

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

Gardener

'72 Vent Window Seals

Post by Gardener »

I was wondering if anyone can tell me what I'm in for when I start to replace my vent window seals on my '72? I hope I did't !@#% up my buying them from LMC, because they look kinda cheap. And after looking close to the original ones, they have rivets, I think.
All the info I've seen so far is for '73 and up. And I see no rivets. Can anyone advise me on this?
Thanks!
71mishmash

Re: '72 Vent Window Seals

Post by 71mishmash »

Gardener,
So I did one of my doors on my 71. I put in the rattle kits around the windows, replaced the window track liners and then the vent window seals. I did purchase all the parts from LMC.
The good; it was not hard to to, just takes time to undo the door panels, window crank, arm rest and latches. It takes time to get the vent window to slide up and out too (takes some creative positioning). Then get the new parts in.
The bad; I was not impressed with the parts from LMC. I have had the vent window seal and rattle kits in for about a year, and noticed that the rubber is already dry rotting and cracking, and it does not seal the window. I expect the stock seals to last 40+ years but should also be able to expect that the replacements should last some where about half that time right? Nope, I'd give them about another 2 years and they'll need replacing again. The rattle kits are already rusted and the "hair" on it is already coming off. I am in Colorado, with little humidity, the parts have made it one very mild winter and up to this point. I sent an email to LMC last month and they've refunded me part of the cost. Since it was past the 90 day mark I guess I'm lucky I got any refund. Part of my refund was a rubber floor mat that cracked and is falling apart too. (not where you'd think but over the trans hump and near the firewall)

Now, this was just my experience with these parts, I've had other parts from them that are decent and work just fine. If it's rubber and exposed, I'd look elsewhere to source parts.
Gardener

Post by Gardener »

Argh! That is exactly what I hoped NOT to hear. But exactly what I expected, after seeing the parts. The first thing I found was the hood cowl seal that attached at the firewall did not fit. The clips snapped in but the seal is tight here, loose here, drooping over there! Then the gas filler neck seal on the outside of the cab is super loose. It holds in place but the filler neck bounces around. And now the vent seals. I took one out of the bag and almost cried (LOL) when I held it was so S!@#%y.
Thanks for the info. I'm going to Dennis Carpenter now, and I hope LMC refunds me.

Gardener
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

Definitely stick with Dennis Carpenter - I bought some rubber parts for mine from LMC and inside of 1 year they are cracking and drying out........ :cuss: might cost a little more but the quality more than makes up for any price difference........... My :2cents: for today.......
"Life is a garden - dig it"........... :thup:

1968 F100 2wd - Rangoon Red - 360 w/T18 - power steering and brakes
1997 Honda CBR 900RR