Rock Auto? Reputable site?

Tell us your good and/or bad experiences

Moderator: FORDification

ThreeTruckMan76

Rock Auto? Reputable site?

Post by ThreeTruckMan76 »

Has anyone ever heard of or ordered stuff from these guys? They seem to have a lot of parts for our trucks.

http://www.rockauto.com/

Daren
1934 Ford Pickup (street rod-project phase)
1956 F-100, 351 w (generally stock, running fine. In the family since 1955!)
1965 Ford Falcon Sprint, 289, 9" rear end, 5 speed manual trans. (a great driver)
1970 F-250 Camper special. 360, C-6, (Running good, but ready for a makeover)
Ranchero50

Re: Rock Auto? Reputable site?

Post by Ranchero50 »

Yeah, they are on the same level as Autozone or Advance for generic parts. I still prefer my local NAPA for bearings etc.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
Madman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Madman »

I have ordered from them...the only bad point is the hassle if you get the incorrect part. But on the flip side, I have been fighting autozone for a week for tie rod ends, they sent me the wrong part due to the fact they don't ever seem to have parts in stock.
""Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet."

2017 Ford Raptor
1970 F250 4x4
1948 Willys CJ2A w/ Ford Flathead V-8
1975 Ford Bronco
390bump
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 390bump »

Great site. Great choice of parts and the stuff gets to your house super fast. Excellent prices. Very easy website to use and look up parts.
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

I have ordered from them before and would not hesitate to do so again. Very happy with them. :thup:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

:yt:
flyboy2610 wrote:I have ordered from them before and would not hesitate to do so again. Very happy with them. :thup:
Me too! I've bought several things from them for a variety of different makes/models and have always had a good experience. I also use their site to research. I like to click through the tree and start at, like 1986 and see when certain options started and what parts are common through the years. Also, those "info" buttons are handy to show you interchangeability across models.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
Calfdemon
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Calfdemon »

Ditto.. Bought from them many times. Have never had a problem and always got the right part and got it fast. They have some great clearance deals too. :2cents:
-Rich

Current toys -
69 Ford F350 Crew Cab - 460 / C6 - http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67 ... lqgskp.jpg
31 Ford Vicky - 1955 270 Red Ram Hemi / 4 speed - http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67 ... bsibvn.jpg

Former toys -
67 Pontiac Firebird 400 convertible (sold 9/13) - http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67 ... bird-1.jpg
67 Ford Fairlane GT - 390 / 4 speed (sold 7/15) - http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67 ... c5hu8z.jpg
thejunkman
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by thejunkman »

Love rockauto. If you do your homework and know your brands and your application it's a good place to go. As others said its a good tool for cross referencing parts too.
-Dave

1967 f100 long bed 2wd, 390, np435
1999 Mercury Grand Marquis
jimmy828
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by jimmy828 »

I have delt with them also with no problems. They do have a good selection of parts.Watch out for the Economy parts , i like to stay away from those if i can help, but that's just me. The word economy and universal just don't get it for me for some reason.
68RGR
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 68RGR »

I agree that they have a good selection and, generally, very good prices. You sort of have to play a shipping game with them because they ship from multiple warehouses with separate shipping costs for each. I try (not always successfully) to select parts that ship from the same warehouse in order to minimize the shipping cost. It can be a little like herding my least favorite animals on earth, however.
Bill
68 F100 Ranger
73 F100 Ranger XLT

Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in garages. (Apologies to Kenneth Grahame.)
elgemcdlf
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by elgemcdlf »

Hats off to you guys who have used them. I couldn't figure out how to find anything I have needed on their site and gave up trying to use them long ago.
bumpandsweptline

Post by bumpandsweptline »

I have used them once without issue . I am starting to have issues getting parts locally from AutoZone and other local stores.
68RGR
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 68RGR »

elgemcdlf wrote:Hats off to you guys who have used them. I couldn't figure out how to find anything I have needed on their site and gave up trying to use them long ago.
I had the same impression at first but it's not that hard. You plug in the make, year, model and engine size and your are taken to a list that has various folders for drivetrain, electrical, engine, etc. You open the folder of interest by clicking on it. Then, you'll see from none to a dozen or more other folders. You keep selecting the appropriate one until you find what you want. Think of it as a tree with LOTS of branches.

IF you want to search for something generic like tools or hardware, just click on the Tools & Universal Parts tab near the top of the page.

Sometimes, they actually give you too much information. But, by comparing the part numbers from other suppliers, you can generally find what you need IF they have it.

If you know the part number, you can select the Part Number Search tab near the top of the page and enter a part number. You can even use a wildcard search like c8tz* to see all parts that begin with c8tz.

One other way to approach it is to Google something like this:

muffler rockauto or c7tz1234 rockauto
Bill
68 F100 Ranger
73 F100 Ranger XLT

Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in garages. (Apologies to Kenneth Grahame.)
460 crew
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 460 crew »

Just like shopping at Harbor freight, some stuff is good some is junk u just gotta know what ur looking for.
And..... U get a fancy magnet with somebody's vintage or restored car on it! Lol
1970 4x4 Crewcab build and 12v cummins conversion
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=17179
GhostRider

Post by GhostRider »

I've dealt with RockAuto before. Just gotta make sure you have ordered the right parts. The prices can be a lot better than local or the dealer, but once again, just gotta watch. Their tech support is AWESOME. They ship fast too.
1989 Ford F350 XLT Lariat, full 4 door cab, chrome package, longbox DRW, 2WD, HD Twin I-Beam front suspension, factory high-output 7.5L 460 V8, factory chrome package, tow package, dual tanks, E4OD Automatic, 327,000 miles on original engine and transmission (never been rebuilt). Too much factory stuff to list. New DynoMax Muffler, new DynoMax Stainless 5" tip, and more.
1996 Dodge Ram W1500HD Custom, SLT Laramie, Ext Cab LongBox, SRW. High-torque 4bbl 5.2L 318 V8, Built NV4500HD, Stage 1 racing clutch, built NV241DLD transfercase, 2.5" true duals, and waay too much more to list...