2016 Charlotte Auto Fair

List car shows, swap meets, meetings here

Moderator: FORDification

Jbott

2016 Charlotte Auto Fair

Post by Jbott »

Anyone else planning to go to the April auto fair in Charlotte? I'm planning to go. Would be cool to meet other members.
"Give me oysters and beer, for dinner every day of the year, and I'll feel fine. I'll feel fine." - Jimmy Buffett

1972 F-100 390 Automatic - Explorer Edition - Grabber blue - second owner

My truck - http://i.imgur.com/ijsVBdL.jpg
hazelnut
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: 2016 Charlotte Auto Fair

Post by hazelnut »

Hoping to make it this year. Missed the past 5 years because of different reasons.

Dennis Carpenter is down the road and will get most of my money :lol:
Jbott

Post by Jbott »

Where do you live Hazelnut? If you end up going, let me know. Maybe we can coordinate. It would be nice to go with another fanatic. I've never been to the auto fair even though I live 20 min away.
"Give me oysters and beer, for dinner every day of the year, and I'll feel fine. I'll feel fine." - Jimmy Buffett

Cork

Post by Cork »

Me and a buddy are trying to go... I'm looking for several bump parts... He's a Mustang guy, first time for me... :woohoo:
hazelnut
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by hazelnut »

I'm not going to be able to go again this year :cuss:

Best advice I can give to anyone going to is to have some GOOD walking shoes, Took a GF with me once and she had a mileage counter on and we walked over 30 miles in one day. Stuff is everywhere. Only 2 public bathrooms on site, One is behind turn 4 next to Rt 29 and the other is in the garage area and that's where the food is for sale to.

The tunnel to the infield is at the end of the back stretch before turn 3 and the old tunnel under turn 4.

Y'all have fun and wish I could be there. :cry:
Last edited by hazelnut on Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jbott

Post by Jbott »

hazelnut wrote:I'm not going to be able to go again this year :cuss:

Best advice I can give to anyone going to is to have some GOOD walking shoes, Took a GF with me once and she had a mileage counter on and we walked over 30 miles in one day. Stuff is everywhere. Only 2 public bathrooms on site, One is behind turn 3 next to Rt 29 and the other is in the garage area and that's where the food is for sale to.

The tunnel to the infield is at the end of the back stretch before turn 3 and the old tunnel under turn 4.

Wow two bathrooms? I'll make sure not drink anything before! Yikes!

hazelnut
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by hazelnut »

Jbott wrote:

Best advice I can give to anyone going to is to have some GOOD walking shoes, Took a GF with me once and she had a mileage counter on and we walked over 30 miles in one day. Stuff is everywhere. Only 2 public bathrooms on site, One is behind turn 3 next to Rt 29 and the other is in the garage area and that's where the food is for sale to.

Yea, no trees to hide behind anywhere LOL.
Jbott

Post by Jbott »

hazelnut wrote:
Jbott wrote:

Yea, no trees to hide behind anywhere LOL.
That's definitely true. I've been there for a charity walk for autism, but that's about it. Been past it a million times. I live in Huntersville, which is like 20 minutes away.

hazelnut
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by hazelnut »

I went there from 1986 t0 2010 for the Winston. I watched the town grow from country back roads to main street everywhere around the track.

Years ago we use to park across the road from the track and could watch muscle cars race at the stop light. At the time I never realized what I was seeing. Now with the prices being what they are and cops being everywhere I'll never see that again. That was some good times sitting next to the road in a lawn chair with a cold beer in my hand watching 2 restored muscle cars go at it to about 80 mph. Back then the owners would show you what it was made of. Now a days be lucky to hear 2 gear chirp. Back in the 80s and 90s that was the cruise of cruises :woohoo: I miss those days.
hazelnut
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by hazelnut »

Need feed back guy's.

Tell me how bad it was for me to miss it again this year :wink:

Anybody find what they were looking for ?
Jbott

Post by Jbott »

I went on Thursday and I was very disappointed. It was probably 1/2 Chevy stuff, 1/3 mopar and others and very little ford stuff. All the ford stuff was mustang. I spent about 4.5 hours and only found two vendors selling f100 stuff. I was looking for exhaust stuff or an f600 dash bezel or maybe some random other stuff. Nothing. I found a 73-79 dash and an early 60s era dash with no gauges. There were wheels and hubcaps too.

It was cool to look around at stuff but I realized about 30 min into it that I should have taken a shirt and written what I was looking for on it. Maybe vendors would have seen it and said oh I have something. It's so hard to tell the difference between car and truck parts that I kept thinking I found stuff but it was 390gt or mustang stuff.

Even so it was overwhelmingly Chevy stuff.

Definitely all the people with scooters and carts were annoying. Also the fact that cars just drive around randomly inside the infield is kinda dangerous.

I still enjoyed it, but I had much higher expectations.

Calvin Gunter
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Calvin Gunter »

I made it up to the Auto Fair.
We took the camper and stayed from Wednesday and came home Sunday .
I got a repro steering wheel from Tom @ Flashback F100s, 2 tag lights from Dennis Carpenter, NOS under dash panel, NOS chrome tail gate handle w/hardware, NOS Ranger glove box emblem.
The stuff is there you just have to look and ask.
Except for the COLD blowing wind all weekend it was a great weekend.
1967 Ranger,Short bed,390,C-6,9 inch,4 BBL.,intake,cam,headers,3:55 Posi.,A/C,Power steering,Power Disc Brakes,Automatic trans.DJM dropped I-beams,flipped rear hangers,headlight harness upgrade.ExTang tonneau cover "Old Blue".
http://s508.photobucket.com/albums/s328/BigSxy96/
1967 Base model,352,2bbl.,3 on the tree,short bed,3:25 9 inch "Rusty".
1967 Mustang coupe-show car/garage queen.Small Block,alum. heads,Nitrous,4:11Locker,Areospace brakes "Mystang".
1996 F-250 Powerstroke-Big intake,exhaust,injectors.(Nice Smoke Show) "Big Sexy"
Jbott

Post by Jbott »

Calvin Gunter wrote:I made it up to the Auto Fair.
We took the camper and stayed from Wednesday and came home Sunday .
I got a repro steering wheel from Tom @ Flashback F100s, 2 tag lights from Dennis Carpenter, NOS under dash panel, NOS chrome tail gate handle w/hardware, NOS Ranger glove box emblem.
The stuff is there you just have to look and ask.
Except for the COLD blowing wind all weekend it was a great weekend.
Unfortunately I didn't get much response when I asked. I think Thursday was a bad day overall since so many people are still setting up.

That's why next time I'll wear a sign or something lol. I didn't have a ton of time to spend with each vendor and had to get through stuff quickly to do it to be home to watch my daughter at 5.

Definitely plan to take an entire day next time. I also didn't know exactly what I was looking for. Was trying to feel things out more than anything.